• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing........!!

tech71

3 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

Look on the bright side, there are no three or four layers of metal hiding behind that...it is what it is. Yes, headliner has to go, but still easier than inner/outer arch decomposition. 

I think there might be framing for the sunroof there or very close, seems to be more than 1 layer. Time for some exploratory surgery soon. Haven't tried to open the sunroof yet

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

• 2 months later...

Been slow going on Franzi but today I drained and removed the fuel tank (I'm going to start at the back and work my way fwd)

Tank is not terrible but does have rust, considering options there. 

Tank was still totally full after sitting for 15 years

Picked up a hopefully serviceable engine from a 79 E21 but who am I kidding?

This is not a "drop in a running engine and go" kind of resuscitation ?

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

That's a nice reunion story! I recently tried to get my 356 back.  Many years after selling it I called the owner to see if he would sell it back to me, but it's not going to happen. He gave it to his grandson.

Great story and everything is fixable!  I also just acquired a former Dave Lumbra car a few months back, it’s a 73  inka Tii project car with sunroof.  I just got my sunroof working again.  I don’t think it had been opened for decades.       The car has probably been off the road since the early 90’s.  The sunroof cables were totally rusted and seized  in the aluminum sunroof channels.  I look forward to your updates!  Eric in West Linn Oregon.