• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB e12 Head

MurphinDC

Hi, looking for an e12 head.  My 74 engine head is beginning to show its age from its last rebuild 18 years ago, so I want to buy a back up for when I need to rebuild it or replace it....which may be soon.

• Can be a complete rebuilt head or a good candidate for a rebuild
  • Cannot be cracked or have identified repairable cracks
  • If rebuilt, has it been pressure tested, shaved, new old style valve seals, valves lapped etc
  • No or limited corrosion
  • Need measurements
  • No modifications...just a standard head with all parts
  • Will consider purchasing just the head

Thanks everyone!

Murph

2 hours ago, MurphinDC said:

Hi, looking for an e12 head.  My 74 engine head is beginning to show its age from its last rebuild 18 years ago, so I want to buy a back up for when I need to rebuild it or replace it....which may be soon.

• Can be a complete rebuilt head or a good candidate for a rebuild
  • Cannot be cracked or have identified repairable cracks
  • If rebuilt, has it been pressure tested, shaved, new old style valve seals, valves lapped etc
  • No or limited corrosion
  • Need measurements
  • No modifications...just a standard head with all parts
  • Will consider purchasing just the head

Thanks everyone!

Murph

Murph,

We can get a brand new one from Germany

Regards

3 hours ago, Labphoto said:

Maxamillian does list a couple of E12 heads

The one highlighted in red is actually a e21 head if you look up the part #.

And the e12 above it says call next to it and can't be added to the cart. Also if you look up it's part # it's back ordered or NLA everywhere.

• Like 1

All the new heads currently in BMW inventory bear the E21 part number. That said, they are brand spanking new heads, not fifty-year-old heads with 100K to 300K miles on them. And that’s worth a lot — in my opinion. Custom pistons, cast or forged, can be fabricated for an E21 head if you want, for instance, 9.5:1 compression, rather than the 8.1 or 8.3 ratio yielded by flat-top pistons. That’s what I — okay, Korman — ended up doing with my ‘76 (photos below).

That said, my 49-state ‘76 left the factory with an E21 head, whereas ‘02’s from mid-1972 onward largely left the factory with E12 heads. So… to what extent do you value your original-E12 car having an E12 head today? That’s the question each owner must ask themself. I believe most ‘02 owners could not care less whether they have a 121, an E12, or an E21 head, as long as it works with their pistons. On the other hand, I rejected the E21 option for my ‘73 tii. I would have chosen a good used E12 head — assuming I could find a good used E12 — over a new E21. Why? Who the hell knows! But that’s me, and I’m not convinced I’m a typical ‘02 enthusiast… ?

Regards,

Steve

85F27509-C1D8-479A-9162-A74EBF69A3E1.jpeg

6EC293AF-7D86-4A3D-80AA-28DFC44A44C7.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)