• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Touring parts

aircool911

I just acquired a 74 2002 touring that someone, 15 years ago, started to restore and never finished and lost a lot of parts.  I am finding that its hard to find almost anything for this car, parts or information, even on 2002faq.  For example, liftgate struts?  I know they sell them in the UK and I have the part numbers, but can't seem to find any in the US., even something compatible with the BMW 1803128.  Is there anyone with a touring that has been able to find struts in the US?  Drip rail molding, belt line chrome, I don't see it advertised or for sale anywhere, maybe the UK.  I am not wanting to do a full blown resto right now, just get it running and looking decent.  Also needs bumpers.  Im not a big fan of the model, but I havent been able to find a decent 02 here in Central america and then this popped up. Any help would be appreciated.  thanks!

When you say it's hard to find almost anything for this car most Touring parts (mech) are the same as the sedan. What Touring SPECIFIC parts are available can be bought readily in Countries that the Touring was originally sold in. USA was not one of those Countries, however, in the USA, if you provide info that you are the Owner of a Touring (Title in your name) parts can be bought through the normal sources.

Also check Walloth & Nesch in Germany for parts.

• Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If you go on-line to one of the hatch lift strut manufacturers, you'll find they publish specs for their products:  collapsed lengths, extended lengths, maximum support weight etc.  By measuring your old ones I suspect you can find one that will work on your Touring and is available here in the States.  I did this (successfully) to find replacement struts for the liftgate on a mystery brand truck cap whose old struts were too rusty to get a part number from.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks Mike.  I was just wondering if anyone knew what model number was compatible.  I do not have any original ones to go by.  My car was missing a lot of parts so I don’t have anything to compare with.  I didn’t want to have to go outside the US to buy parts because I live out side the country and not anywhere near Europe.  You would think a pair of struts would not be that difficult to come by, but when you don’t have specs it’s pretty much impossible.  If anyone has bought struts for their Touring please let me know what fits, thanks!

16 hours ago, 02Les said:

When you say it's hard to find almost anything for this car most Touring parts (mech) are the same as the sedan. What Touring SPECIFIC parts are available can be bought readily in Countries that the Touring was originally sold in. USA was not one of those Countries, however, in the USA, if you provide info that you are the Owner of a Touring (Title in your name) parts can be bought through the normal sources.

Also check Walloth & Nesch in Germany for parts.

yeah, I was trying to avoid having to order parts from Europe.  Might have to give up on this project and go find a real 02 :)