• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Wheels Spaced Differently? What's going on here...

Ok - thanks everyone for all the input. After some additional investigation I think I've actually figured out that it is indeed a difference in the body - the fenders - not a misalignment in the axel/subframe. I could have sworn each side looked identical, but I guess it's quite subtle. See the photos below.

What I did was put my ruler straight up against the bottom of the rocker trim and pushed it into the rear tires and both sides lined up identically with the outer channel on the tires.

Next I put the ruler into the wheel well right between the shock and spring until it was flush against the tub and measured straight down to the edge of the fender and there it is... exactly 15mm difference between the two sides. I've included photos of the fenders from each side as well. Fooled me for sure.

Ok... so now that I know that my fenders are asymmetrical... is it totally out of the question to add a 10mm spacer to one side to help even out the visual appearance?  I'm OCD and this type of thing drives me bonkers... 

PXL_20220306_215936352.jpg

PXL_20220306_220046312.jpg

PXL_20220306_220608042.jpg

PXL_20220306_220656516.jpg

PXL_20220306_220746579.jpg

PXL_20220306_220755834.jpg

I read on your feedback post that your initial problem was when fitting the two year wheels..........on one side the hub pushed the centre cap out and the other side didn't.

Is this part of your problem or did you resolve this as something else?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

I read on your feedback post that your initial problem was when fitting the two year wheels..........on one side the hub pushed the centre cap out and the other side didn't.

Is this part of your problem or did you resolve this as something else?

Yes - that was actually another problem. The cotter pin on that side was actually bent against the top of the hub instead of around it. So it was the pin that stuck out just a bit further and caused the deformation of the center cap.

3 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

I’d run a magnet around the panel before attempting to pull anything or you could be opening a can of worms. 

+1

Even if the fender lip on a touring is different from the fender lip on other sub-models — and I’m not certain of its original configuration — the junctions of your car’s quarter panels with its rocker panels, just ahead of the wheel housings, are different from each other and different from the factory configuration. Compare the lip lines in the first two photos below.

In addition, the right side rocker panel moulding appears to have been shortened, and the moulding moved slightly lower on the rocker panel. Where the bottom of the quarter panel meets the rocker panel, between the rear wheel well and the door, the quarter panel extends out “over” the rocker panel, creating a sharp concavity into which the rocker moulding ordinarily fits.

Your touring’s left and right sides are shown in the first and second photos below, and the left and right sides of my (admittedly-not-a-touring-but-owned-from-new) ‘76 are in the third and fourth photos.

Regards,

Steve

4A5EBC7F-EC00-41FD-BB54-42231B9506E4.jpeg

3CA9DEB4-C98B-4B8D-BDCF-70EDFB1C4F1C.jpeg

F19720A7-71C7-453D-BC5E-21E03D5371E6.jpeg

7F51F469-F6BE-4C65-9484-FCB449DBBD1F.jpeg

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Lo and behold, the touring does appear to have thicker rear fender lips than other ‘02 sub-models. Here is a factory photo of a 2000tii touring, ca. April 1971, showing a public introduction of the new model. And, yes, those rear fender lips do appear beefier than the front fender lips.

This doesn’t alter my comments about the obvious inconsistencies, from side to side, between the left and right fender lips, or post-factory modifications or repairs to both fenders. But it does verify the poster’s point about rear quarters on touring models being wider than the average ‘02!

Regards,

Steve

7AF30DBD-59B3-423B-8ED3-4607F47CD932.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Conserv said:

+1

Even if the fender lip on a touring is different from the fender lip on other sub-models — and I’m not certain of its original configuration — the junctions of your car’s quarter panels with its rocker panels, just ahead of the wheel housings, are different from each other and different from the factory configuration. Compare the lip lines in the first two photos below.

In addition, the right side rocker panel moulding appears to have been shortened, and the moulding moved slightly lower on the rocker panel. Where the bottom of the quarter panel meets the rocker panel, between the rear wheel well and the door, the quarter panel extends out “over” the rocker panel, creating a sharp concavity into which the rocker moulding ordinarily fits.

Your touring’s left and right sides are shown in the first and second photos below, and the left and right sides of my (admittedly-not-a-touring-but-owned-from-new) ‘76 are in the third and fourth photos.

Regards,

Steve

Definitely agree with you that whoever did the work on my rocker panels screwed the pooch, not the best quality, runs, lumps, crappy repair of the bottom body seam - looks jagged and craggly... doesn't inspire the most confidence in the rest of the paint/body work ?

• Like 1

It's entirely possible that, given the scarcity of Touring-specific sheet metal in general, and specifically in the US where they were never imported, at a previous time rust in the rear wheel opening lips were repaired with a patch panel that was meant for a sedan.  Those patch panels have been available for many years (at least back into the late 80s) and I'm quite sure they were meant for sedans.  I don't think any of us realized that Tourings used thicker lips than sedans. 

A little examination behind the upholstery panels in the hatch area might answer the question of previous repairs.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 3/8/2022 at 2:56 AM, Conserv said:

Lo and behold, the touring does appear to have thicker rear fender lips than other ‘02 sub-models. Here is a factory photo of a 2000tii touring, ca. April 1971, showing a public introduction of the new model. And, yes, those rear fender lips do appear beefier than the front fender lips.

This doesn’t alter my comments about the obvious inconsistencies, from side to side, between the left and right fender lips, or post-factory modifications or repairs to both fenders. But it does verify the poster’s point about rear quarters on touring models being wider than the average ‘02!

Regards,

Steve

7AF30DBD-59B3-423B-8ED3-4607F47CD932.jpeg

Steve,

I´m jumping up and down right now! The first thing ever concerning originality, that I knew better than you, I believe. ?? Yes, a touring definitely had bigger rear fender lips compared to a sedan. Take a look here at the link for W&N´s repair panels page. One can see the difference in fender lips thickness on the pictures for the sedan and the touring panels, too. And of course one can conclude, that there must be a difference, if they´re offering different panels at all.

Concerning the initial question for this thread I´d agree, that with looking at the photos I´m afraid of supposedly hearing my bondo-alarm bell ringing.

Best regards,

Lars.

• Haha 3

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Lars,

You can inscribe my knowledge of touring models on the head of a pin… ?

But I do believe that they were hatchbacks! ?

Always great to hear from you! 

Best regards,

Steve

On 3/6/2022 at 12:56 PM, d.hitchcock said:

Interesting note about Touring fenders, thanks!

Assuming your subframe is stock and nonadjustable, wouldn't the next suspect bits to check include bent/damaged trailing arms and bushings? And maybe this is too left field, but it might be worth inspecting subframe mounting points & bushings too.

These are the thing I would check. If it is the lip then get a fender roller and have at it, or just write it off as “quirky “ and move on.

Perhaps a alignment shop can shed some light on the issue. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002