• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you know this '71 Tii swap with Scottish flags?

MrSisyphus

@UncleMakhno Wow, I know that car! Not very well, but I bought my '73 tii from the family of the same deceased owner who was a longtime customer at my shop here in Santa Barbara. Sadly I do not have much actual history on that car as we did not actually work on it, but he was driving that one around later in his life (maybe 2010-12ish). I remember it being quite loud!

I wish I could help more, we helped the family sell off most of the cars and parts 8-9 years ago, so I don't think the family would have much info about the car. But I can certainly reach out if need be.

• Like 2

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

1 hour ago, cda951 said:

@UncleMakhno Wow, I know that car! Not very well, but I bought my '73 tii from the family of the same deceased owner who was a longtime customer at my shop here in Santa Barbara. Sadly I do not have much actual history on that car as we did not actually work on it, but he was driving that one around later in his life (maybe 2010-12ish). I remember it being quite loud!

I wish I could help more, we helped the family sell off most of the cars and parts 8-9 years ago, so I don't think the family would have much info about the car. But I can certainly reach out if need be.

...didn't quite expect this. But uh...please don't trouble them! I figured it was distinctive enough that someone might've recognized it. Curious about the livery...was he Scottish? 

As an update, my curiosity got the best of me and I stopped by the garage tonight to see if I could ascertain anything else about the motor. Normal notation on the block behind the starter is definitely blank. Tried hard to figure out the head's markers, but didn't feel up to pulling the intake in the shared garage. Soon.

• Like 1

‘71 BMW 2002 - Currently Tii-swapped, M42 restomod in progress

'04 VW R32

'19 VW All-Track

5 hours ago, UncleMakhno said:

… Normal notation on the block behind the starter is definitely blank. Tried hard to figure out the head's markers, but didn't feel up to pulling the intake in the shared garage…

Alternatively, on the block, get the casting date. It’s on the right side of the engine block, towards the front of the block (approximately between cylinders one and two, just below the exhaust manifold). You can generally stick your (camera) phone between the right inner fender and the block and grab a photo of the casting date. (Cars with A/C sometimes have A/C hoses in the way.)

As to the head type and casting date, you may need to remove the airbox, but nothing more. It still won’t be easy to see and I find it’s almost impossible to photograph the head type and casting date with aluminum intake runners in the way, but you should be able to see both with a good light in that area. You’re looking between cylinders three and four.

Those semi-circular aluminum intake runners will also have casting dates on them, providing a vague clue as to their origins.

Good luck,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 hours ago, UncleMakhno said:

...didn't quite expect this. But uh...please don't trouble them! I figured it was distinctive enough that someone might've recognized it. Curious about the livery...was he Scottish? 

Yes, I believe he had Scottish ancestry.

As for your plans for the car, I would say do whatever your heart desires. You have already invested a bit into rebuilding the KF pump of the tii motor, so if you take that path, there are plenty of folks here who can help you out.

If you want to go the M42 route, that is also cool. It seems like these engines and 5-speed trans are still reasonably priced.

But, as Toby said, assess the rust situation first, and plan on fixing that frame rail. Beyond that, a rule of thumb for me and my project cars is to ensure the car is safe before diving into the engine. It is so tempting to get a project car and spray starter fluid in and "get it running." But, I always start with the braking system and make sure everything there is good----that often means replacing absolutely every hydraulic seal in the system from master cylinder to hoses to wheel cylinders to brake calipers.

Make sure the inside of the fuel tank is clean and that there is a good screen/filter system, and replace all of the hoses, and use good quality stainless steel fuel injection hose clamps. Clean all of the engine and body grounds front and rear, and clean all fuse contacts. THEN, dive into the engine!

Good luck with the project, and keep the Scottish flags!

• Like 3

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff