• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Gasket Installation, round 3

joebarthlow

Suggest you use this one. It is designed specifically for EPDM rubbers, the majority of molding make up. 

Good luck.

Don

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b5005005008/

• Like 1

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Had the same problem. The solution is to use a genuine OEM gasket (BMW 51715476161) and follow the instructions on how to apply adhesive from this YouTube video: 

The process of applying adhesive to gasket and trunk frame separately, allow to dry, and then re-activate with another application of adhesive will produce a strong bond.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would venture to guess that using office clips vs. clothes pins is a big part of your problem. 100+ clothes pins, as shown, place the appropriate amount of pressure that's evenly distributed around the trunk seal. Notice how your office clips are distorting the seal, pushing out the adhesive and causing the seal to rise where there is no pressure (causing gaps and leaks). Just saying...

trunk_clips.jpg

• Like 1

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

13 hours ago, 1972_Targa said:

I would venture to guess that using office clips vs. clothes pins is a big part of your problem. 100+ clothes pins, as shown, place the appropriate amount of pressure that's evenly distributed around the trunk seal. Notice how your office clips are distorting the seal, pushing out the adhesive and causing the seal to rise where there is no pressure (causing gaps and leaks). Just saying...

trunk_clips.jpg

that photo was about half the clips, I added the rest right and filled gaps right after this shot 

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

10 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

that photo was about half the clips, I added the rest right and filled gaps right after this shot 

Noted. I think if I were taking a run at a 2002-related project for the third time, I'd be a bit more open minded and consider failing variables beyond choice of adhesives. jp5Touring nailed it above. Clothes pins securely hold the seal in place while the adhesive sets up. Your office clips are just crushing and distorting the seal. Try clipping a clothes pin and an office clip on your fingertip, and you'll get my point. At the end of the day, it's your car, your choice of process—and your leaks.

• Like 2

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying