• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selector Shaft Seal for 3HP12

I've read the archives but haven't been able to find the dimensions for the O-ring that keeps automatic transmission fluid from drooling out from around the gear selector shaft.  The BMW part number is 24-12-1-666-382.

All of the usual online part suppliers and several BMW dealerships with an online presence show the part number, but nobody in the U.S. appears to have even one in stock: they all tell me it has to come from Germany.

It's hard to believe that the O-ring used for this particular application is unique from every other O-ring ever used by BMW.

I'd prefer not to take my car out of commission for a week or more and resort to dropping the transmission pan and removing the selector shaft just to measure the O-ring and try to I find a metric one that matches the size.

Does anyone have a known source or the precise dimensions for this little thing?

Thanks!

• Like 1

All I can say is get way more than one, they tend to be cut in half as you push them in by the cut outs in the side of metal sleeve they push in too…mine still drips…

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Wouldn't a quick e-mail to the US subsidiary (it's a ZF, isn't it?--and they have a facility in Illinois, IIRC) elicit that information?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There should be vent, all boxes do, and is it clear?  Any internal pressure will push fluid out seals.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

To prevent cuts to the seal when pushing it over cut outs on the shaft try wrapping it with a layer of manila envelope then greasing it before sliding the seal over it. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

18 minutes ago, Clevis Woodruff said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Could you do me the additional favor of pointing me where to find the BMW Parts Book?

The ‘02faq lists a few books but none seem to be what you have. 

Go to the Articles section: Technical Articles section: History and Reference section: the parts catalogs are in 2 parts near the bottom of the page.