• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing Question - Haynes Manual

lobf

I'm re-timing an old motor, and going through the steps in my Haynes manual. I've done this before, but now I'm wondering if I did it properly because I don't remember how I handled step 6, see attached. 

It says that after I re-insert the distributor, I turn the crank pulley so that the static timing mark is opposite the marker on the block. So if the block marker is at 5 o'clock, I should put the pulley marker at 11 o'clock? 

Thanks for your help 

Edit- image isn't loading properly, here's a link:

659EZju.jpeg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

IMG_9887.HEIC

Edited by lobf
added link to image

I agree, the Haynes manual is a bit confusing.

For STATIC timing, the pointer should be closest to the 3 degree BTDC mark on the pulley.

The block pointer on my car is in the 2 o'clock position and the mark on the pulley is TDC. I do not have a 3 deg. BTDC mark.

I do check with a light bulb and set it to TDC to get the car going....then fine-tune with a timing light.

1586254370_FrontPulley.jpg.1c5acde9f1a6bcbdedd4f13104595f11.jpg

Is that the English Haynes or the American Haynes version?

Timing mark opposite would mean it is aligned to (looking at) the block pointer.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 3/12/2022 at 7:03 AM, 02Les said:

Is that the English Haynes or the American Haynes version?

Timing mark opposite would mean it is aligned to (looking at) the block pointer.

Do they do different versions now? There's a glossary of British terms at the top of the manual, so it's clearly meant to be for both American and British audiences. 

And yeah, I thought "opposite" might have meant "lined up with," except they use the term "align" in a previous step, so why not be consistent?? 

Anyways, to be clear, timing this thing should be as follows, am I right? 

- Pop out dizzy 

- Turn crank until I feel compression in #1 spark plug hole 

- Line up timing marks to the 2nd notches 

- Put dizzy back in (lining up the rotor arm with the mark) 

- (Here's where I'm confused) Turn the crank COUNTER-clockwise a couple of inches back to the 1st (static) timing mark 

- turn dizzy so the points are just opening 

And that should be it, right? 

Thanks everyone, 

This means to turn the rotor from the #1 plug position counter-clockwise about an inch or so, then push the dizzy down into the head.

Because the gears are helical, the rotor will return to the #1 position when the dizzy is fully seated. Might take a few tries, but you will easily see what happens and can adjust accordingly.

Do you have the inspection hole to view the flywheel?  Look for the "OT"* mark (TDC). It will show up twice...1 for TDC on cylinder #1 during the top of the compression stroke (this is what you want), and 2 for TDC on the exhaust stroke (don't use this one). The finger in the spark plug hole will show which one has the pressure (all valves closed).

* My TDC flywheel mark is "TO", not "OT".  My car was built in Sept. 1975, so the flywheel stamper must have been hung-over from the Octoberfest activities.  ?

1824091283_TopDeadCenterMark.jpg.a0f15a1f264712adc7f533b920da5753.jpg

1 hour ago, lobf said:

Do they do different versions now? There's a glossary of British terms at the top of the manual, so it's clearly meant to be for both American and British audiences. 

The real English-English version shows a RHD '02. ?

DSCN3663sm.thumb.JPG.952a1d2d55ebf7868de1b4f0d01e3a95.JPG

Les

FAQ Member #17

On 3/13/2022 at 12:32 PM, 02Les said:

Ha, I’ve had this manual half my life, it came with the car and I never noticed it had a LHD ‘02 on it. 

Anyways, is the breakdown of the process from my last post correct? 

322C51B2-9E02-4EBC-80A0-7366FAD8665D.jpeg

On 3/13/2022 at 12:32 PM, 02Les said:

Hey Les, would you mind at least taking a photo of the timing instructions from your American version to see if it makes things more clear? 

thanks! 

10 minutes ago, lobf said:

Hey Les, would you mind at least taking a photo of the timing instructions from your American version to see if it makes things more clear? 

thanks! 

Here's the page from my UK edition. I do not have a US edition. I suspect both editions are the same except for the front cover.

DSCN3664.thumb.JPG.4914d7f07f32b8abdadcffc0bfa10040.JPG

Les

FAQ Member #17