• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tesla powered 2002

Tommy

I am OK with people doing EV conversions to classic cars, not "blasphemy" at all, if that what it takes to keep some of them on the road. The safety aspect that others brought up is a concern, however. Modern EVs have VERY well-protected battery enclosures and precision-engineered load paths and crumple zones in the event of an impact . . . .

But, for myself, If I want an EV, I want a thoroughly modern car/chassis with all the tech, like a Lucid or a Rivian. I would seriously look into something like that if I actually needed a commuter car (if/when the cheaper versions came out), but I don't, so my fleet of gasoline-powered old cars works just fine :)

• Like 1

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

9 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Imagine 120 mph in a 02 and the loudest noise is the tires.

Nope--regardless of motive power, the loudest noise in a 2002 is the wind whistle from the trailing edge of the door windows...

Wonder how long it'll be before someone offers a series of plug 'n play electrification packages for various sized vintage cars...

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Nope--regardless of motive power, the loudest noise in a 2002 is the wind whistle from the trailing edge of the door windows...

Wonder how long it'll be before someone offers a series of plug 'n play electrification packages for various sized vintage cars...

mike

+1 on the wind noise, Mike!

As to electrification packages, Ford is reported to already be offering an electric crate motor, and installed a pair of them in a ca. 1964 F-150 pickup as a marketing piece…

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If I came across a great rolling shell -- of a 2002, other vintage BMW, or other cool older smallish sporty ride, maybe a Miata -- I'd love to pursue an EV conversion.  Right now the problem is obviously cost, but with batteries potentially getting more affordable as the mass market transition gathers momentum, that should evolve.

What was the experience like for those on this thread who got there via Moment Motors or other retrofitters?

I can see having an electric one as a daily, that can be allowed to go downtown, and at least one more that still has an M10 that runs on $10 a gallon synthetic fuel that I take out on weekends. Fingers crossed that we’ll still be able yo drive our classics with ICE motors on a non petroleum fuel in the future.

• Like 2

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

19 hours ago, Geoff Raynak said:

Anyone coming thru Bend Oregon is more than welcome take Verona for a spin.

also a Moment car

also 'Tesla powered' (batteries)

180 ft-lb

165 hp

4 speed manual

~2200 lbs

Geoff  - I'll be back in Bend in the next few weeks and would love to connect.  I'll PM you as well.

Thanks!

Carlos...

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

5 hours ago, jackm said:

What was the experience like for those on this thread who got there via Moment Motors or other retrofitters?

full disclosure is that i work for Moment ... so very biased ... 

it is a white glove service ... 

i've shared this before in many places ... and happy to do so again ... 

here is the build blog Moment made for Verona: https://www.momentmotors.com/moment02001

pwd = verona

1970 1600-2 VERONA conversion at Moment Motors

3 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Just imagine 180hp as soon as you start rolling all the way to flat out with a flat torque curve.  

/Imagining/......... feels flat...like the torque curve...uninteresting....emotionless...

My interest and hobbies are limited to petrol powered engines. (with exception of steam engines that are intriguing. Might get into those some day.) It's all about the raising torque and power curves, rpm's and the sound, fuel and exhaust smell (preferably not in the cabin)...and so on. Sad times, but let's enjoy as long as we can.

• Like 5

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

I have resisted commenting on this car, due to the fact that it will rub some the wrong way and I try to avoid letting my emotions get the best of me but after watching again, like he said....Yes it's polorizing, but it's by how he's selling and portraying the concept.

First off, analog. Are you serious? His hands never left the steering wheel. Sure it handles like a 50 year old car, and he started it like my car, but part of the analog experience is taking a hand off a wheel once in a while to run through gears or understand what a third pedal is, imagine that. To reduce a driving experience to just jetson-ing around and call that an experience is disingenuous.  Much of what current generations can't grasp as part of analog. Makes for a great anti-theft device though.

Second, history. Really? Preserving the exterior doesn't exactly preserve history. That is what grabs peoples interest, but once you see the rest, it wont carry the same history weight until many generations later. After I'm long gone, it's going to be very difficult to truly drive a piece of history. You know a petrol car that started it all for the 3 series in America, or any car from "way back then". The generation that still exists will only able to read about them, or see them in a museum and not truly experience them. You know like dinosaurs. Tell me your saving history all while throwing away what made this little car amazing due to its performance at the time is BS.

I am not one to frown upon a build and I truly do like what he did. His detail to keeping into what made a 50 years old car, 50. I can respect the amount of time and effort that went into the development of such a caliber but don't call it analog or saving history for your kids. It's a completly different car. As long as your OK with the idea that this is only way your going to have to keep a vintage car, fine. Sucks that this is what the future holds cause generations won't truly experience what started it all. Pushing out petrol is not the answer to being a car guy.

I welcome tech, but don't replace where it started. There should be a place for both to enjoy on the road.

Flame suit on but cheers to all.

Moe

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

11 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Just imagine 180hp as soon as you start rolling all the way to flat out with a flat torque curve.  

You mean like my belt sander ? 

I admittedly did not watch the entire video but didn’t hear where  6k pounds was mentioned, it’s hard to imagine a 2002 with nearly triple the weight (early car) particularly with stock brakes?!

Edited by Lorin

On 3/30/2022 at 1:55 AM, Mike Self said:

mike

Already happening.  Here's just one of a bunch:. 

electric-bronco-crate-motor-2.jpg
ELECTRICGT.COM

Electric Crate Motors by ElectricGT including the 413 GTE Motor - electric vehicles and components.