• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tesla powered 2002

Tommy

@MOESPEED2002@AceAndrew

I agree completely that it's souless, no fun, missing the third pedal, won't sound/feel right, etc. 

But...

the generation coming up just doesn't care.  I'll defer back to my 20 year old son.  When I talk with his peer ground (most all are engineering students) they look upon the "history" with contempt.  To them all of us petrol heads killed the planet and continue to do so by driving around our dino fueled and lubed leaky beasts. 

My son at least likes the idea of classic cars, but couldn't care less about preserving the original drive train.  Some of his friends don't care about cars at all.  At least two of them don't have drivers licenses and they're college students.  I just don't get it. 

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 2

I think what is missing is the dance of driving a vehicle of the era of ours. 

I am pretty confident no one is going to electrify a Colombo V12 engined Ferrari.

Driving a classic car is more than how many likes it gets on Instagram or how fast it is or it’s perceived carbon footprint. 

It is a dance partner.

• Like 4

+1, Tdh

I taught my son, who is 19, to drive and work on a cheap vintage car. He is a unicorn in his extended group…1 in 100 at best. I’m just glad that I can pass along my ‘02 to someone when I’m done who will have the OPTION to drive it/maintain it. 

I have a neighbor who has a very nice convertible VW bug that he inherited from his father, who restored it to a high level. It’s been sitting in the driveway outside, uncovered for the last 2 years, untouched. He does not know how to drive a stick, but can’t seem to let it go either. I can see that scenario playing out everywhere as the pool of people ABLE to drive it around the block takes a dive in the next  20 years. 

Doesn’t bother me too much, actually. I’m too busy restoring my beloved ‘72tii. 

Vince

• Like 2

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

51 minutes ago, Tdh said:

@MOESPEED2002@AceAndrew

the generation coming up just doesn't care.  I'll defer back to my 20 year old son.  When I talk with his peer ground (most all are engineering students) they look upon the "history" with contempt.  To them all of us petrol heads killed the planet and continue to do so by driving around our dino fueled and lubed leaky beasts. 

This is interesting, because as I have gone back to school, I'm right in the middle of the younger student engineers.  What I have found is diametrically opposed to your experience.  

I didn't want to mention this initially, but last week we had this exact conversation within the Liquid Rocket Lab club on campus, at the time there were around 30-ish kids around.  The consensus was that they saw the classics as similar to a mechanical watch; analog.  Vs. the cheap, stick-a-battery-in Quartz watch.  When asked if they'd put electric motor in an old car, there was genuine confusion as to why you'd want to do that.  For many the biggest fear was that the cars were getting to be no longer attainable, especially the import tuner cars a lot of them liked.

Keep in mind these kids are the product of California education system, where anything green energy related is presented as sacred text.  Regardless of my personal opinions, so many of these kids have had it shoved down their throats that many have become rather critical of it.

Definitely an interesting future ahead.

• Like 5

In the no like camp.  

Can't wait for the weather to be right. I miss rowing a five speed and listening to the exhaust and webers sing.

Hell I was at a stoplight today waiting and heard the starter fire up in car next to me  when light turned green.

That's even to much technology for me.  

I can appreciate it but no thank  you.  

@AceAndrew

Two things...

First, my son is in two different rocketry clubs on campus, so it sounds like the two of you have similar interests.  One club is currently working on a project with the goal of breaking the sound barrier while not exceeding a specified altitude limit.  

Second, I think you hit on something.  I bet the cultural aspect of this has some influence here.  It's possible the California/west coast car culture has had a positive effect on the younger folks you were talking to.  As for my son's group...they're mostly from the Southeast.  Not trying to offend my fellow Southern gear heads but the bike/car thing just isn't as big a part of the culture in general here.  

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 4:27 PM, Geoff Raynak said:

Anyone coming thru Bend Oregon is more than welcome take Verona for a spin.

also a Moment car

also 'Tesla powered' (batteries)

180 ft-lb

165 hp

4 speed manual

~2200 lbs

I’ll likely be making my way through towards the end of the summer. Definitely want to come take a look at it at least 

• Like 1

72' 2002 Granada (Painted Malaga??) 3rd owner 

On 3/31/2022 at 8:14 AM, Lorin said:

I think what is missing is the dance of driving a vehicle of the era of ours. 

I am pretty confident no one is going to electrify a Colombo V12 engined Ferrari.

Driving a classic car is more than how many likes it gets on Instagram or how fast it is or it’s perceived carbon footprint. 

It is a dance partner.

+1^^^^^^ Dance Partner

I've driven a Tesla, and it definitely is not a dancer. Especially when it drives itself.

Moe

• Like 1

SIGSTUFF2.jpg

Proud Member #190 since 2003.

18 hours ago, 66m10 said:

Don't know where everyone got the 6000lbs from, but on their website it says 1150kg/2535lbs

1e9368_9f445f4e89d846db835fc0528af3bef0~
WWW.BAVARIANECONS.COM

We build electric classic BMW Cars. We electrify premium classics cars. Bmw 2002.Bavarian Econs

I was thinking the same thing, the entire Rivian R1T EV truck weighs ~7300 lbs, and it has a gigantic, long-range battery pack!

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

On 3/29/2022 at 6:09 PM, AceAndrew said:

Soulless.   It’s been given the dementor’s kiss.

The only way this happens is if we roll over and ask for more of that tasty gov. overreach.

So very true....especially in California. They want us all in EV's by 2030(did you vote on that? I didn't) yet anytime the temp increases they tell us about rolling blackouts and limiting our electricity use.

• Like 2

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip