• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever seen this happen?. Fatigue or Accident?

Dudeland

The same thing happens on the E30 seats.  In fact the hinge that I worked on this morning had a weld repair on one of the tabs.  Some say to weld them proactively, but even if it does break, it is easy to get to, so that is a "Future Me" problem.... wow i would hate to be that guy LOL.....   I inspected mine and none of the others are showing any signs of cracking. 

Thanks for the heads up. 

Regards

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Well.  I tried my hand at tig welding for the first time.  Needless to say I blew holes in steel before I pulled out my trusty mig, with dirty self shielding wire and plugged them up.  I am normally better than this, but grinder and paint make me the welder i ain't. 

I will cut some bits to reinforce it on the back, and it will be like it never happened. 

The bottom frame is nice and strait, but upon doing a trial fit of the repaired frame I found that the back is tweaked.  The right shoulder is further back from the left by about 1 cm.  Nothing that a quick strapping down and a long pipe can address. 

Fun... 

IMG_3645.thumb.JPG.23654b54c08ea4d16ba8a26ad4b91d21.JPG

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

One of mine had three breaks, one had been "welded" nearly same place as yours(I think a 3 year old icing a cake would have made a cleaner surface than the guy who welded mine) and two on the sides one of which was not fully through. Their just underdimensioned or at some point the PO's were overdimensioned or overly Active. 

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

• 3 weeks later...

Well it is back together.   I think it turned out ok. The covers  need to relax a bit, then get a bit of steam, and the backs of the seats need to have the cover glued on. Before the backs go on I need to glue on a bit of sheet metal to reinforce the bottom of them where the screws go in. 

IMG_3665.thumb.JPG.847dc4cd1d796621dac6b9d0a0ab197e.JPG 

• Like 3

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002