• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting, Fairly Rare (I think) 1975 tii Auction

Right hand drive would certainly limit my interest, but a 1975 2002tii Lux version is an interesting car. I wonder about the cloth / velour being original, or replacement inserts?

15397f1eda518fe4a31e83359adf420ac1a2ed33
RMSOTHEBYS.COM

RM Sotheby's is the number one classic car auction house in the world. Cars for auction include rare antique, classic, and sports & racing cars. Additional services include restoration, appraisals, collection advice, private treaty and estate sales and RM financial services.

• Like 1

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

The Lux option includes seats that are fully cloth-faced, both the center sections and the front faces of the bolsters — like these. Two different types of cloth are used, however, for these two different areas. I’m not sufficiently informed to opine on the authenticity of the two styles of cloth, but it could be original: it even has the correct six pleats in the center.

The re-paint? Pretty darned mediocre: someone forgot to mask! ??

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Vin's in an odd location...

Why are there US spacers under the front strut mounts?

rear spring perches are suspect.

no rocker shots.

I'd offer $4500.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yes that’s the same interior (though a different colour) as my Lux when I lived in the UK, the centre is a cord and the bolsters are a kind of velvet (poor description) but certainly 2 different textures.

Does feel a bit more luxurious than our spartan interiors!

Definitely no turbines ? mind you the older I get the more I like the early turbines, the later are horrible to clean.. probably why I have Octavos, which are getting hard to find over here now☹️

Edited by SydneyTii
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TobyB said:

Why are there US spacers under the front strut mounts?

Those so called "US" spacers were on Euro cars as well.

I wonder how many more times these are going to be referred to as US spacers?????

• Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

+1 on suspicious schutz along the classic rust line on the rear inner wheel arches inside the trunk.  Plus three missing pieces of floor and wheel arch vinyl.  

Odd location for the VIN plate--atop the right side spacer panel between the radiator support and the nose sheet metal.  That can't be original, especially when the holes for the VIN plate's normal location are present. 

The VIN (2771077) means it's the 1076th RHD (modell 73)--production began in September 1973, so it's pretty early in production; that makes me wonder if it's l974  production vs 1975.  I didn't realize that BMW continued to produce tii's after the end of the 1974 model year.  

I'm not impressed with the paint job either.  Really sloppy in the trunk and engine compartment.  A dollar's (or 50 pence) worth of masking tape and aluminum foil could have made a big difference. 

The Lux interior upholstery, while it may not be original to the car, looks like what I've seen in the few Luxes I've had a chance to examine, including Mike Ura's car, which I know is correct. Seat centers are corduroy, and the edges are velour (AKA mouse fur).  Neither are very robust. 

Better than some we've seen (i.e. not lipstick on a pig) but there have been far nicer ones showing up recently.  And it's too bad a careful job wasn't done on this car, as a Lux tii has to be a rare beast.  Don't think I've ever seen (or even heard) of one.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

FWIW:

Last RHD tii left the factory in October '75; last LHD tii was June '75.

Quite a few of the 1975 RHD tiis were LUX versions. Perhaps a sales thing.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2022 at 7:52 PM, 02Les said:

FWIW:

Last RHD tii left the factory in October '75; last LHD tii was June '75.

Quite a few of the 1975 RHD tiis were LUX versions. Perhaps a sales thing.

I was wondering where you got your stats on the tii LUX versions and if you can share any more information about this option.  I have a tii LUX and I would like to learn more about LUXs in general.  My car is similar to Mike Ura's LUX and, as far as I can tell, one of only 3 tii LUXs in the US.  

Current: '75 verona 2002Tii Lux “Lecco”

Retired: '67 chamonix 1600-2, '69 tundra 2002ti-ed, '74 chamonix 2002, '75 anthracite 2002

==> Contact me if you need a tii or turbo CSV harness - I make a really accurate repro <==