• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Carter electric fuel pumps?...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I mean LOUD. Mine's mounted under the car in rubber-isolated bracketry, behind the right rear wheel, and it's STILL loud.

Electric pumps don't have to be loud. Witness the old familiar-faithful SU points-type pump, Purolator's tiny box-like guy, or Alfa's SPICA prepump. The Carter is unnecessarily huge, heavy, and louder than all the above. If my memory serves me (been a long time since I've been in a tii), it's even louder than the tii prepump, which was suitably obnoxious.

However, I put one on my car (the Carter), and since it's on there and working fine, it's not coming off for a while. I trust it, and it does what I need it to.

Most Carters SHOULDN'T require a regulator, based on the outputs they give on their websites. Do it anyway, for safety's sake. 2.5-3.0 is a good range, no more than 3.5 or you'll overpower the needle and unseat it, raising fuel level in the bowl.

It's been said that an E30 or E21 prepump will work and bolt into the tank. If I did it again on an '02, I'd probably investigate this route.

Sam

'76, DCOES

O==00==O

Guest Anonymous

My mechanical pump gave up the ghost yesterday (old-style pierburg with the 6 bolts around the perimeter as seen in the Haynes manual). While I wait for a new diaphragm, I am going to use a Carter pump (almost brand new-got this with my DCOEs last year).

I know electric pumps are louder and that this particular pump might require regulation re: fuel pressure.

Would truly appreciate anyone's experiences/input.

Thanks.

Marty

'73 w/fresh (25miles) 9.5:1 engine/292 Schrick/40 DCOEs/5speed.

Guest Anonymous

I have a big Carter pump on my car, bolted to the firewall via the rubber-isolated bracket, and it barely makes any noise - just a very subtle hum that's barely audible at idle.

As for the in-tank prepump transplant, know that if you get the pickup with a non-functional pump, the pump can easily be replaced with the cheap and readily available pump for a Chevy Vega. Yes, really. Easy swap - fairly common, actually. Check E28/E30 websites for a detailed write-up - I know they're out there.

Guest Anonymous

mounted also in the engine bay, driver's side, Weber DCOE 40's replaced the solexes, the pump was not loud at all. However, I'm not sure if it was a Carter., talk at you later bro, good to hear Juanita's on the road!

Tim

'74 chamonix

Guest Anonymous

Hmm.

Maybe I should rephrase:

Mine's loud only when the car isn't running or, strangely enough, is exceptionally cold. Can barely hear it at idle.

Knew the Vega pump worked for the E28 - funny that it fits the 02 tank...

-Sam

Guest Anonymous

Well, just to be clear, the Vega pump fits the E30 and E21 fuel pickup, which in turn can be made to work on the 02. Versatile little item, that.

Guest Anonymous

Fits the e28 pickup, which I'm assuming is the same part.

I actually got desperate for a pump a year ago when I owned my E28 and bought a Vega prepump from PepBoys - and lo and behold, the damn thing worked.

God bless parts swappers and their kin who figure these things out to begin with.

Sam

Guest Anonymous

Marty

Where the heck can you get the old style Pierburg diaphragm? (for the fuel pump, dirty mind!) I used to be able to get 'em from a VW dealership, but not anytime recently. I'd like to go back to the old style pump that my '69 came with...

Cheers

Mike