• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing hood release handle knob?

bergie33
Go to solution Solved by dlacey,

I want to get the hood release handle plated, but I'm not having any luck pulling off the black plastic knob. Any tips?  I pull and wiggle and it doesn't budge. I don't want to breat it.  If that doesn't work, does anyone have any better ideas for renurbishing that handle with the knob still on there?

20220416_172722.jpg

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

The factory parts book shows the knob as a separate part from the handle, so presumably it comes off somehow.  I don't think it's threaded, though.  Probably just pressed in place.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So I just found pictures on the W&N website. They sell the knob, and have a picture of the handle. The knob press fits on the handle, not threaded. I just don't know how to get enough leverage to pull it off without cracking it. I guess I can either paint the handle or force the knob off, have the handle plated, then replace the knob with one from W&N if the old one breaks.

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Something to try for removing the knob:  find a small open end wrench that will just fit around the metal handle end where it disappears into the knob.  Then clamp the handle in your vise (padded so as not to ding up the metal) and strike the wrench with a copper or lead mallet (or a small ball pein hammer if you don't have a soft metal one).  Squirt a little WD40 or similar thin oil down inside the knob to promote slipperiness.  It may just take a couple of taps to jar it loose.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• Solution

Put whole thing in deep freeze for 2 days...then place just the plastic knob in a cup of hot water...differential thermal expansion combined with poor heat conduction of plastic should allow a window of time to pull the plastic away from the shrunken metal....... Never tried it for this piece...but that's my guess.

Edited by dlacey

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

If a picture helps, well, see below. As the Knob/Button is sold separately it must be, at least, possible to fit a new one.

Lever part # 51 23 1 801 019

Knob part # 41 33 5 680 162 (should be available in USA to save shipping cost)

DSCN3681cr.thumb.JPG.163443bad9c63099c7d43355533f89e5.JPG

• Like 3

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 4/16/2022 at 10:27 PM, dlacey said:

Put whole thing in deep freeze for 2 days...then place just the plastic knob in a cup of hot water...differential thermal expansion combined with poor heat conduction of plastic should allow a window of time to pull the plastic away from the shrunken metal....... Never tried it for this piece...but that's my guess.

+1 on this method from Dlacey - I did this prior and after freezing it - stuck just the knob section in a mug of boiled water for about 45 seconds and was able to pull it off.

• Like 1

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix