• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wing vent knob variations

72pdx02

The wing vent knob on my 67 passenger door was missing the chrome ring. It bugged me enough that I finally ordered a new one. Well I learned something new. I didn’t do any research before ordering I just figured they were all the same. I found out they are not. The chrome ring on my 67 is much smaller. I wonder what year that changed? 

B696E3DD-B6D4-45C2-99B6-030ABCB4FD64.jpeg

Edited by 72pdx02
Add passenger door
  • Like 1

The knob on my '76 has the smaller ring like yours.

I've never seen one like the new one you ordered.

Did you know there is a tiny dimple on the outer lip of the knob that indicates where they put the hole on the backside (that is used to push the cover cap off)?

I think that is an amusing little detail.

Tom

I've not seen one with a giant chrome ring either--at least not on an '02.  Perhaps from either an NK sedan or a 2500, 2800 or Bavaria?  I know the coupes had all-chrome knobs.  

Steve, feel free to chime in here!  More arcane 02 trivia!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Going off of Mike's observation.

The 02 and coupes have the same outside diameter.  The E9 Coupes had all chrome centers .... HOWEVER, the diameter of the inner aesthetic ring on the coupes matches the diameter of your 2002 replacement ring.  Therefore, my guess is that when remaking these, they just shot two birds with one stone when making the mold.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mike Self said:

… Steve, feel free to chime in here!  More arcane 02 trivia!…

And I’ve got nuthin’, Mike! ??

“Pro Restoration Tip”: replace them in pairs, and no one’s likely to notice… ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The picture shows I got what I ordered. (From where I ordered it from)It’s my fault for not walking in the garage to see what mine looks like before ordering. I’ll probably keep my original cap that’s missing the chrome ring In place since it’s original to the car. Thanks for the feedback everyone. hope you all had a happy Easter. 

3 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Going off of Mike's observation.

The 02 and coupes have the same outside diameter.  The E9 Coupes had all chrome centers .... HOWEVER, the diameter of the inner aesthetic ring on the coupes matches the diameter of your 2002 replacement ring.  Therefore, my guess is that when remaking these, they just shot two birds with one stone when making the mold.

So this new part might not be correct for any original model!  Verrry interesting...  But trivial, if Steve's willing to let it pass.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, calw said:

So this new part might not be correct for any original model!  Verrry interesting...  But trivial, if Steve's willing to let it pass.

If they match, they pass!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

@72pdx02,

I’ll check my small parts stash tomorrow after work. If I have a clean wing knob insert, I’ll send one to you. 
?
Rich

Edit: Curiosity got the best of me and had to know if my parts were still there ?

If it’ll work for you, PM your address and I’ll drop it in the post tomorrow. 

DD7212D7-4A47-4F60-B0DC-D7A5AE916E48.jpeg

Edited by RichenFamous
Oops
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1