• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Original Dark Blue Vinyl for a '76

bavariaboy

Long shot of long shots. The original dark blue vinyl passenger seat cushion is deteriorating slowly but surely.  I am hoping someone has some original 74-76 seat fabric sitting on a shelf or in a box they are willing to part with. The rest of Lilli is 82,000 miles original and in excellent condition. I would love to keep her all original!

Thanks,

Steve ONeill

Hi Steve. I took the dark blue vinyl seats out of my 76 a couple years back, and ended up giving them to Chris Isaacson in Philadelphia about a year ago. The driver seat vinyl had a hole in it, courtesy of my 6-year-old's shoe. The passenger seat, though, was in very good condition. 

Do you know Chris/Stone02? (Let me know if not, and I'll put you in touch.) He might still have the seats. 

BTW - I am almost ready to install the RetroSound unit I bought from you a while back. I've been looking forward to it for a long time. 

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Hi Matt,

I do know Chris. He did Lill's head a while back. I will get in contact with him. Hope you can make it to a drive. Did you see the Rocket Dog email about Cars&Coffee at Thompson BMW in Doylestown, a hike for you.  Hoping to have a bunch of real BMWs there.

Can you send me your email again just to confirm. Been having trouble with a couple of them on the RD list.

thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Just an observation regarding your 76 front seat bottom replacement....

1975 and 1976 2002 front seats have 6 pleat inserts.  Each pleat is 2 inches wide.

1974 was a one-off year, where the seat backs and seat bottoms have 7 pleat inserts, (each pleat also being 2 inches wide) so you with need to source a 75-76 specific passenger seat bottom.  Hopefully you will be able to find one.

I will assume your "pleats" are failing (as they typically do after 40+ years of service).

If that is the case, if you are able to locate a 74 through 76 back seat bottom with 8 good pleats (one pleat extra each side for cutting/sewing), any upholstery shop can remove your old pleated section and sew in the new piece.

For example, if you are unable to locate a decent Marine blue vinyl repair piece, but you do find a nice piece of vinyl in black, you can spray dye the black vinyl with SEM Color Coat vinyl/fabric spray #15043 "Shadow Blue" which is a perfect Marine blue match.

I hope you find this information useful.

Cheers!

Gary