• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 BMW 1600

Price: $1

Description:

Not mine, no affiliation, have never seen around but looks like an interesting car:

00707_4wXvqLLlydIz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
CHICAGO.CRAIGSLIST.ORG

UP FOR SALE IS MY 1967 BMW 1600 TWO DOOR COUPE , BOUGHT IT FROM THE FIRST OWNER WHO OWNED IT SINCE DAY ONE , I STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL TITLE FROM 1967 . IT IS A COLORADO CAR , VERY SOLID , MINIMAL...

Wow, lots of work, but lots of upside.  So cool to see those early original parts (summer box, football washer bottle).  Love the Florida paint.  Strange that it has a Euro back bumper but US Bumper horns in the front.  I would get it running, buff out the paint and drive it.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

19 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

Wow, lots of work, but lots of upside.  So cool to see those early original parts (summer box, football washer bottle).  Love the Florida paint.  Strange that it has a Euro back bumper but US Bumper horns in the front.  I would get it running, buff out the paint and drive it.

Mark92131

Was thinking the exact same thing. Just clean it up and drive it. So cool.

22 hours ago, Milo said:

The asking price is on the optimistic side considering the condition of the car.

+1

Definitely!

It’s intact, un-molested, and a great color combo (Florida with Dark Brown) — which is wonderful. But I suspect the vinyl on those seats will shatter if you actually sit on them. This one is crunchy.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 5/2/2022 at 12:27 PM, Mark92131 said:

… Strange that it has a Euro back bumper but US Bumper horns in the front….

Mark,

I’m working on a theory — note: I’m still working on it — that the Euro rear bumper, with its bumper-mounted license-plate lights, was supplied on U.S.-bound 1600-2’s until sometime around March 1967. But it does appear that, by May or June 1967, U.S.-bound 1600-2’s were sporting U.S. rear bumpers with license-plate lights mounted on the rear panel. Of course, this could also be a Euro-delivery car imported later (the all-vinyl interior, however, suggests a Hoffman/U.S. connection).

As to the U.S.-style front bumper overriders, besides the possibility of a bumper or overrider replacement post-factory, I don’t yet have a working theory. For the 1967 model year, I believe the tall U.S.-style overriders might have been options.

Certainly for VIN 1527753 (manufactured June 6, 1967), “BUMPERETTES” were an $8 option. The window sticker is shown below.

A VIN for the car which is the subject of this thread would either help confirm or help deny my license plate light theory.

Best regards,

Steve

133A9B20-BDD4-4825-B224-25832305FFAC.jpeg

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 5/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, 02Les said:

Amazing - the first Owner owned it since day 1?

Does he mean since the BIg Bang?

FD02E9CF-2B42-482B-822F-5291D7A622C5.jpeg

Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

I was at this guys shop recently, test drove a rusty old 2002 that I was hoping to buy, saw this in the back of his shop - said he'd be throwing it on craigslist next. Based on price here, and price of what I test drove, seems like he's generally a little overpriced. That said, VERY nice guy to deal with and if anyone is interested in this, I definitely recommend getting in touch with the seller. Seems like he's taken on some bigger projects as a restorer, and thusly tends to minimize the seriousness of some issues. Old school Jaguar guy with some other cool cars in the shop too... 356, Sonnet III, Isetta, a couple Avantis. Solid seller - recommended. Just make sure you're getting your money's worth.

Didn't buy that 2002... that's why I'm lurking around here to see what's for sale...

• Like 1