• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 no longer a classic…

…only because it’s now an antique.

My 02’s birthday is today, being produced exactly 46 years ago. Given my 76er is a mere youngtimer, born within the last thou made, that means all y’all are older… Rock on.

But it got me thinkin’…

It’s my understanding that it’s most common to note the distinction twix Classic and Antique cars at 45 years, and given we are now near all over that age boundary, we’re classics no more…

F that. 

The 2002 will remain a classic FOREVER. ;) 

Tom-too

This week in 76, the Billboard 200 featured the Stones “Black and Blue” at #1. It’s cool to think of Wolfgang  and his factory mates rocking out to that tune building my lil’ Bavarian beastie. (originally Polaris now appropriately Cosmosschwarz)

… blow out my candles for me. ;)

84D21A1B-F927-4A01-967E-DDBF26B2547D.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

When did that change?

An item needs to be 100 years old plus to be an antique, unless it's a car? Is this a US thing?

Edited by 02Les
  • Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I just looked it up and found this --

"Here is how you can tell if your car is antique, classic or vintage by the year it was manufactured:

• Vintage Car: Manufactured between 1919 and 1930. Either a “survivor” or restored in conformance to the original manufacturer specifications
  • Antique Car: Manufactured 1975 or earlier (>45 years old). Either a “survivor” or restored in conformance to the original manufacturer specifications
  • Classic Car: Manufactured 2000 or earlier (>20 years old)"

Taken from here --

1st-article-photo-1-690x370-1.jpg
AMERICANCOLLECTORS.COM

Learn more about the key differences between classic, vintage and antique vehicles.

• Like 1

Every state seems to define vehicles differently.  PA law defines an "antique motor vehicle" as a "motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year which has been maintained in or restored to a condition which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications."

A "classic motor vehicle" is defined similarly but must be manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year.  There is also a definition for "collectible motor vehicle" which is a motor vehicle substantially modified from the manufacturer's original specifications and appearance and maintained in collectible condition.

Classic and collectible vehicles are subject to annual safety inspection, antique vehicles are not.  None are subject to emissions inspection.  

Just switched over to antique plates and registration on my 73 Bavaria.  The inspection on my 74 tii, which just turned 48 yesterday, is not up until November but will switch that over to antique as well come this fall.  Cheers.

• Like 1

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

Yup, it's a state- by- state thing.

The 86 Saab turbo could technically be tagged as a 'horseless carriage'

in Washington soon.

Go figure.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

35 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Yup, it's a state- by- state thing.

The 86 Saab turbo could technically be tagged as a 'horseless carriage'

in Washington 

Here's my Great-Great Uncle, Charlie King,  driving the very first car in Detroit. Now that's a horseless carriage!

EC892893-640E-471B-A887-AAF36176EA2A.jpeg

• Like 3

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

It's hard to be very specific about classifying elderly vehicles, as there are all sorts of definitions, especially when you factor in the terms state DMVs use, and the year that a vehicle qualifies for special license plates.  The date and the nomenclature varies from state to state.  However, there's one description that is very specific:  classic.  

The term "classic car" is a make and model so designated by the Classic Car Club of America--almost all "Classics" by their definition were made between the mid 1920s and the beginning of WW II, and are all high-end vehicles--some Cadillacs (12 & 16 cylinder), Rolls Royces, some (but not all) Mercedes Benzs (the same with BMWs), Duesenburgs, Packards, Marmons, Alfa Romeos, Bugattis etc.  Some more pedestrian makes (Buick, for example) have some custom-bodied examples and a few semi-factory cars (1940-41 Brunn Town Car conversions, for example) that qualify as full classics, but are the exception to the rule.  If you want to see the whole list, go to the CCCA web site.  So to call a '66 Mustang a "classic"--even if it's a Shelby GT350--makes CCCA members (and other serious antique car buffs) cringe.  

So...call 'em antiques, vintage cars, collector cars, historical cars (Ohio does), horseless carriages etc...just don't call 'em "classics" unless they are ?.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, 02Les said:

When did that change?

An item needs to be 100 years old plus to be an antique, unless it's a car? Is this a US thing?

That’s what I learned, Les.

That just shows us, Les, that we’re really old and outdated!

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

For cars, I’ve always known it as Tom posted above - 45 years and 20 years. It’s obviously a rolling timeline (maybe just a American iron thing?) Growing up, 40s-50s cars were the classics. But I’m still having a hard time with the folks with year 2002 cars that call them ‘classics’… lol

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

That’s what I learned, Les.

That just shows us, Les, that we’re really old and outdated!

Best regards,

Steve

Hmmm

When I was in the UK we only had Vintage & Veteran for cars covering up to around 1930 something, then Classic came along for others that were worthy. Basically Antique was for furniture and things found in Egyptian pyramids, not cars.?

Edited by 02Les
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 5/10/2022 at 2:03 AM, visionaut said:

…only because it’s now an antique.

My 02’s birthday is today, being produced exactly 46 years ago. Given my 76er is a mere youngtimer, born within the last thou made, that means all y’all are older… Rock on.

But it got me thinkin’…

It’s my understanding that it’s most common to note the distinction twix Classic and Antique cars at 45 years, and given we are now near all over that age boundary, we’re classics no more…

F that. 

The 2002 will remain a classic FOREVER. ;) 

Tom-too

This week in 76, the Billboard 200 featured the Stones “Black and Blue” at #1. It’s cool to think of Wolfgang  and his factory mates rocking out to that tune building my lil’ Bavarian beastie. (originally Polaris now appropriately Cosmosschwarz)

… blow out my candles for me. ;)

84D21A1B-F927-4A01-967E-DDBF26B2547D.jpeg

Is the Motorsport flag paint or a decal. Either way I like. ?

3 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

Is the Motorsport flag paint or a decal. Either way I like. ?

Thanks JP.  It's a one-off I made from a custom-color E36 LTW Flag decal set. I got the other part on my right rear fender...

Tom

• Like 1