• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The nice thing about ebay...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

the fact that somebody will buy the car with just those few facts, and they'll probably ignore half of those too.

We are not your typical car buying crowd if you know what I mean. Some people buy these cars because it is "cool". Honestly, dumb asses for real. There could be basketball holes in the floor pan, they wouldnt now.

anyways

Guest Anonymous

I would think that a lot of them would be bought by locals who can look at the car first. I bet most 2002 (and other affordable classics) buyers are skeptical enough to check them out somehow.

What recourse does someone have when buying a car via ebay sight unseen?

Guest Anonymous

I was high bidder on a 72tii without seeing it. Lots of description about lack of rust, and pics of most areas on the car.... except were the rust was ;(

I politely told owner no deal. I walked away quiet pissed. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there. And some of them own 2002s.

Moral, look before you bid, or at least be sure there are auction protection laws in the state you are buying in.

Guest Anonymous

Seller was in upstate NY. At the time I did not know too much about my rights. I knew this was not 'the car' that I had bid on.

I pointed out the obvious rust. Owner pleaded ignorance (yeah right you missed the holes in the floor). And let him know I would not be paying for the car. Thankfully I never put a deposit, it might have gotten a lot more ugly. I didn't realize it at the time, but the law was on my side. I just left, seller didn't say much after I informed him of my decision.

Car reappeared on Ebay, with not much better of a description. I put a warning up on roadfly about buying ebay cars without seeing them. Never did find out who had the misfortune of buying it (or if they accepted it).

Same thing happened more recently in Staten Island. I went to go look at a 'rust free car' from california. LOL. I pointed out the obvious rusted areas to owner. He promised to change and add to the auction description. Never did. I should have realized his pics were obviously taken to not show certain areas of the car, but give the appearance of a very good pictoral documentation. Guy was an out and out liar. Car sold but again not sure if car was accepted. I did post a little more specific warning on roadfly about this car.

You may feel that I should have given very specific warnings about these cars directly to the bidders. I don't feel that way (have debated this several times in my head). Caveat Emptor.

Guest Anonymous

my car is an ebay win, and an object lesson in not buying or bidding without eyeballing the car first. stanislaus705 was the seller, and he had a salt lake city shop help him ratfuck me. werner's by name, run by a clown named doug. lies, lies and more lies. i should have walked, flown actually, but had convinced myself before i got there everything was alright.

bottom line, look before you bid, be super critical and do not trust anybody except your own mechanic.

bitter in socal,

robert

p.s.- email-ing bidders to warn them is auction interference, which ebay frowns on. so your own interests, as well as caveat emptor, should mitigate any feeling of obligation. hth