• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great 75 turbo survivor for sale with 41k miles

bmw_e30

The ad makes very little claim for originality....

The wheelarch extensions are faired-in to the bodywork, no row of screws evident...the black rubber bead looks like its painted-on?? Or why a bead if no screws...? I believe some japanese delivery turbos did have faired-in wheelarch extensions for local regulatory reasons...but they didnt have the bead (no need).

Sold most recently in 2019 https://www.tradeclassics.com/auctions/bmw/1975-bmw-2002-turbo/  much more pics there including a japan car club sticker..

The mileage discrepancy is just a km/miles thing: this car has a KM speedo (its not a UK-delivered car, those 62 turbos had 150mph gauge)

Most weird is the emissions cannister under the parcel shelf in pic 36/7... no turbo had that, it was only for certain emissions-critical markets where the turbo was never sold.

The engine is very scruffy in a perfect-looking body.... 

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

5 minutes ago, TobyB said:

'75?

....surrreeee, oookkkkaaayyyyyy......

t

Manufactured May/June 1975. What's your problem?

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

8 hours ago, dlacey said:

The ad makes very little claim for originality....

The wheelarch extensions are faired-in to the bodywork, no row of screws evident...the black rubber bead looks like its painted-on?? Or why a bead if no screws...? I believe some japanese delivery turbos did have faired-in wheelarch extensions for local regulatory reasons...but they didnt have the bead (no need).

Sold most recently in 2019 https://www.tradeclassics.com/auctions/bmw/1975-bmw-2002-turbo/  much more pics there including a japan car club sticker..

The mileage discrepancy is just a km/miles thing: this car has a KM speedo (its not a UK-delivered car, those 62 turbos had 150mph gauge)

Most weird is the emissions cannister under the parcel shelf in pic 36/7... no turbo had that, it was only for certain emissions-critical markets where the turbo was never sold.

The engine is very scruffy in a perfect-looking body.... 

Japanese origin explains the wheelarches. Painted or taped "rubber strip" is obviously to make it look right from a distance. Maybe someone did it already in Japan, or once it was brought back to Europe  to cover up the feature that is a massive turn off on western market. Doesn't work too well when looking closer. Otherwise seems like a great survivor car but that makes it more a restoration candidate IMO.

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

As Les points out, VIN 4291599 is a late turbo. Production winds down in June 1975 with VIN 4291672. This one has the correct flag mirrors and center-exit exhaust pipe, for a “late turbo.”

The turbos switched over — mid-production — to the center-exit exhaust (with a “ghosted” right exit). The parts catalogue reports a change to the center-exit muffler at VIN 4391212, but the physical evidence remaining — now that we’re nearly 50 years out — is not nearly so tidy. It’s believed the center-exit exhaust was devised to deal with the extra exhaust heat of cars equipped with thermal reactor exhaust manifolds. Was the turbo, however, the only Euro-spec sub-model to adopt the center-exit exhaust? If not due to additional exhaust heat, could the larger diameter of the turbo exhaust have influenced this mid-production change for the turbo?

This example looks plenty useable as is. But, yeah, it could stand a more academic restoration if an owner was so inclined.

As Dave points out, the evaporative emissions tank is a bit surprising. I’m curious if it’s secured by the same “slide-in” brackets welded to the rear parcel shelf as we see on U.S. cars.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

37 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I’m curious if it’s secured by the same “slide-in” brackets welded to the rear parcel shelf as we see on U.S. cars.

It is (Pic is of the same car from Tradeclassics website):

image.thumb.png.9f1c0cdbeb0736be1e065623654e9347.png

So, dare i say, this body didnt start as a turbo.... 

& yes this was a european market (LHD only) model - only variant seems to be the MPH speedo for the UK/RoW delivered cars.

• Sad 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

I checked the parts catalogue, there were 3 turbo bodies:

Standard 1974 specific turbo

Same with manual sunroof

Same with electric sunroof

There were no regional variants and no different 1975 model.

Compare the tii, where there were multiple bodies for 1974, with regional variants and another set for 1975.

Still it is seen that sometimes they used parts that happened to be available. I think some more evidence would be needed to condemn it as a fake turbo. If it was proven it wouldn't be much of a "survivor" anymore!

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

8 hours ago, dlacey said:

It is (Pic is of the same car from Tradeclassics website):

image.thumb.png.9f1c0cdbeb0736be1e065623654e9347.png

So, dare i say, this body didnt start as a turbo.... 

& yes this was a european market (LHD only) model - only variant seems to be the MPH speedo for the UK/RoW delivered cars.

Have you double checked your turbo doesn't have this bracket Dave? I'm only asking as I seem to recall the turbo had the extra boot floor bracing above the diff area, just like the later American spec cars - so there's a possibility they pulled US spec shells somewhere along the production line and this needless bracket was already spot welded on?? Just a thought, and only a turbo owner like yourself could say.

• Like 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Oddly, I’ve seen two bona fide turbos — each a basket-case looking for a well-heeled restorer — with their entire rear clips missing, victims of rust and, for one, rust and an accident with a miserable repair — “Quick, cut it off before it infects the whole car!” ?

Both we’re missing everything from the parcel shelf back. So maybe this one had a bit more rust, or a bit more accident, and received a rear clip from a U.S.-spec round taillight… ?

And, as Dave suggested, is it possible a country other than the U.S. — Japan, for instance — adopted evaporative emissions regulations, effective at some point in the last 50 years?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)