• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing my 1974 2002 recently purchased from BAT!

1 hour ago, resra said:

Next an M20 swap in order!

Then trash the AFM and put a real ECU on itt.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

That looks "Dope".  I've had more kids come up to me in the last few days and say how "Dope" my car was.  When I was a kid, Dope was something we hid from our parents and rolled up in a doobie.  I think kids these days are attracted to primer and rust.  I've seen old trucks driving around that are all fixed up with what I would call synthetic rust painted on them.  My car has real rust.  I should start a company R.A.R.  Real Authentic Rust.  Application instructions:  Apply surf racks and surfboards, let salt water drip for two or more decades... ? Seriously.  That carbon fiber job looks really nice.  What type of resin do you use? Epoxy?

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

If you haven't done so already, take out the back seat bottom cushion and see what the rear crossmember mounts look like from the inside. Those need to be securely mounted. IF the repairs in that area look structurally sound (just guessing that you'll find rust repairs in there, based on the other rust repairs), I suggest you put everything back in and, as others have suggested also, go drive it for quite a while. It could take a while to decide what kind of '02 you really like.

• Like 1

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

16 hours ago, JohnS said:

That looks "Dope".  I've had more kids come up to me in the last few days and say how "Dope" my car was.  When I was a kid, Dope was something we hid from our parents and rolled up in a doobie.  I think kids these days are attracted to primer and rust.  I've seen old trucks driving around that are all fixed up with what I would call synthetic rust painted on them.  My car has real rust.  I should start a company R.A.R.  Real Authentic Rust.  Application instructions:  Apply surf racks and surfboards, let salt water drip for two or more decades... ? Seriously.  That carbon fiber job looks really nice.  What type of resin do you use? Epoxy?

Look at it this way, at least those “kids” are still interested in cars and keeping automotive culture alive.  As a rare millennial who knows how to change a tire and turn a wrench it pains me to see how many of my peers have no interest in cars, or only like the ones with electric motors.  

I use a special epoxy resin that has good clarity and will handle heat.  The real key is using a 2 part clear coat thats UV protected or the sun will turn the carbon fiber yellow.

• Like 1

As a fellow millennial, the 2002 is a chance to unwind from the over-connectedness of today’s world.

It’s a mechanical watch in a digital timex age.

Welcome to the FAQ.  Glad you bought the 2002 and are making it your own.  Might I suggest either the “blog” section or the “project archive” section of the website to catalog your progress.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I try to stay disconnected as possible. And fail miserably at it. The one exception: I refuse to wire up my beautiful, period correct "Becker europa."  The engine and exhaust sounds are all I need.  I bought that particular Becker because I love the sound of the word "europa" and the lower case "e"

Steve ONeill

And BTW, I agree, drive it for six months before you make major decisions.

31 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

As a fellow millennial, the 2002 is a chance to unwind from the over-connectedness of today’s world.

It’s a mechanical watch in a digital timex age.

Welcome to the FAQ.  Glad you bought the 2002 and are making it your own.  Might I suggest either the “blog” section or the “project archive” section of the website to catalog your progress.

Thank You!  Is there a way I can move this thread to the project archive or must I start a new one?

7 hours ago, Caffeine_Gasoline said:

Look at it this way, at least those “kids” are still interested in cars and keeping automotive culture alive.  As a rare millennial who knows how to change a tire and turn a wrench it pains me to see how many of my peers have no interest in cars, or only like the ones with electric motors.  

Very True.  Today I went to our local O'Reilly's and was able to buy some Valvoline 20W-50 Racing Oil for an oil change.  The young guy who helped me knew the difference in the oil and that it had the extra Zinc.  He was also interested in my car.  I popped the hood and showed him the mechanical fuel injection and he clued into it right away.  He said "It's sort of like an airless paint sprayer in how it works".  He also commented that it must be for performance vs efficiency when compared to todays electronic fuel injection.  I said exactly.  There's hope for humanity after-all.  ☺️

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 4

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

15 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

If you do a lot of business at O'Reilly bring that boy a bottle of wine or a six pak of premium beer.

That's a great suggestion.  I don't drink wine, but loves me some good beers.  I'll swing by BevMo and pick up something good and German like Spaten or something.  I want to get some Steinlager for me anyway.  I told the guy I would come back and show him my "good" car (the 73) some day.

Maybe some Oranjeboom?  Ha ha

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

The rust isn't that bad; it's all very typical. You have a lift and you got the car for a good price. I'd buy a quality MIG welder and have fun! No point paying someone for work that will all be covered up eventually. It's hard to make nice welds, but strong ugly welds are easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

engine small.jpg

Update:  June 5th 

I removed the flag side view mirror and installed a round mirror from a 57 Chevy.  It kind of reminds me of a raydot style mirror but a little smaller.

Also removed the rear tail lights and rear trim piece.  Blacked out the trim (eventually all chrome trim will be black).  Purists hide your eyes.  Smoked the tail lenses.

Removed the rear running lights and will find an appropriate size hole plug until it goes to body shop for everything to be filled in.

5CEBFCB2-C432-49AE-AD10-887B5A3C1995.jpeg

5CE974E6-9428-4DD5-858A-F97D925A0682.jpeg

9C272BE7-C665-4A7F-814D-52B7D7248333.jpeg

CDEBF0F5-CDF5-4D72-98D4-444304C7395E.jpeg