• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yellowed Wurth Clear Coat

JohnS

This is why I will never use the Wurth brand clear coat when refinishing wheels again.  First pic is before I cleaned them using Purple Power in preparation for refinishing them again.  That Purple Power worked wonders and made the wheels look so much better.  But they still have that beautiful "pissed on" look.  ?

YellowRonal1.jpg

YellowRonal2.jpg

Edited by JohnS
spelling, grammer
  • Sad 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I have one original roundie "tii" alloy wheel that's never been on the ground, as the paint around the lug nut holes is intact.  I'm sure it spent its entire life in the trunk of an '02.  No sunlight or weather exposure, but it's yellowed just like yours.  I've repainted wheels with Krylon "Dull Aluminum" spray paint, then clearcoated with Krylon "crystal clear acrylic" they have not yellowed over several years...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hi Mike,

Yes, per your recommendation I refinished the stock steel wheels on my 74tii with the same Krylon 1403 Dull Aluminum and the Krylon Crystal clear over 20 years ago and they still look fine.  No yellowing.  The Dull Aluminum paint is getting hard to find these days.  They used to carry it at my local Ace Hardware store, but Ace no longer stocks Krylon paint anymore.  I was able to find some Krylon 1403 online at Amazon and I bought the guy's last remaining 5 cans.  Waiting for them to arrive and that's the combo I'll use when I repaint these wheels.  I did have to pay $20 per can though.  Thanks for recommending that paint many years ago Mike.

Cheers,

John Sieraski

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Looks great JP!  Ya, I wish I hadn't clear coated those Ronals when I repainted them.  They yellowed in less than a year after the repaint.  Good on you for not using a clear.  I had used Einszett 1Z silver wheel paint for the silver and it was really nice paint too.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I emailed Krylon (Borden) about the availability of #1403 Dull Aluminum and was told it was still in production but they were currently "out of stock."  Perhaps they make it in batches....

I suspect if enough of us started emailing Borden they would get their Dull Aluminum production line back up and running again.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 4 weeks later...

Nice and hot here today for repainting the wheels.  Sanded the faces with 320 then wiped them down with Wurth Clean-Solve Surface Prep.  Then hit them with VHT Wheel paint in Ford Argent Silver.  I really like the Argent Silver.  Has a little more gray in it which is what I wanted for these wheels.  Now I just have to wait for Longstone Tyres to get in a fresh batch of Pirelli CN36's ...

No clear coat this time around.

RonalKleeblatt1.jpg

RonalKleeblatt2.jpg

RonalKleeblatt3.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 5

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Finally scored some proper Ronal hub caps for my refinished Ronal Kleeblatt wheels.  They fit perfectly and are very snug when snapped into place.  Patiently waiting for the 185/70 13 Pirelli CN36s to be back in stock.

RonalCap1.jpg

RonalCap2.jpg

RonalCap3.jpg

RonalCap4.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 3

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Even repainted the lug nuts to get rid of the chrome bling... What a nut job I am eh? ?

Scuffed them really good with 180 sandpaper before wiping them down and hitting them with self etching primer.  Then the same wheel paint I used on the wheels.  Then bake in sun for days...

NutJob1.jpg

NutJob2.jpg

NutJob3.jpg

NutJob4.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️