• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii brakes need an eyeball!

Hey guys

Bringing my 74tii back to life. Ordered some pads from Rogers Tii. Got everything apart. Pads are too big. Do I have the wrong pads or did someone change calipers!? Anyone recognize these as Tii brakes? It’s a numbers matching Tii for sure!

34D7A2F3-67F1-4E59-BBDC-4A42A20AE54F.jpeg

0A24C5A3-C40D-459B-8A09-E6D5D6F3D7EB.jpeg

Hard to tell without dimensions-

but if you measure your pads, then go to 

Hawk's website, they'll have tii pad size numbers for you.

Quick check- tiis have 3 1/2" mounting centers on the ears,

and regular cars have 3"

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Bastards! 
Figured it out. Someone changed to all standard 02 stuff at some point in this cars history! 3 inch dead on holes for mounting. 

I have to change it back right?! Hubs, struts, calipers and rotors…what else? Is it worth it? How much will this be!?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

Hubs, struts, calipers and rotors…what else? Is it worth it? How much will this be!?

Lots and lots!!

If you decide to go that route, let me know as I have all the parts needed for the conversion.

• Like 2

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Dang!!!! Sorry to hear of this!!! You  want to verify/change the type of brake booster, master cylinder. struts, rear boxed trailing arms, and of course calipers and brake rotors and hubs if returning back to Tii configuration.   It appears the regular2002 set up was swapped into the car.... I would be livid!!! The vehicle was misrepresented without disclosure.  Per haps a couple pics of the brake booster area and rear trailing arms whether closed boxed or open viewed from the front of car. 

Edited by Mikesmalaga72

And…I assume the correct Tii master and booster are being used considering my airbox fits there? My 76 02 had a much larger booster and master that wouldn’t have allowed for the airbox. 

and this all started with just wanting to stick some fresh pads on there to run while I work on it for shakedown laps!! 

image.jpg

Rear trailing arms look like the correct Tii items (they are open stampings on the base 2002, they are welded into closed box sections on the Tii). 

From the look of those calipers, rotors, and pads, you have a lot more work in front of you than just changing the pads out. If you keep the base front struts, it won't be too expensive, just a bunch of work. New rotors are about $35 each and a nice pair of rebuilt calipers should cost about $180 after core refund (don't get the centric ones). Change the rubber flex hoses (all 6 of them- 2 per side in the front wheel wells, 1 per side going to the trailing arms) and replace them with stainless steel ones. Odds are that some or all of them have swelled shut internally and you'll get unpredictable, uneven braking even if you change everything else (ask me how I know). Depending on how long this has been going on you'll have seized caliper pistons and seized wheel cylinders at the rear. May as well change the e-brake cables while you're at it. 

What's going on with the driver's side strut cap? It looks like there's a bunch of stuff missing under the nut. 

6 minutes ago, paulyg said:

If you keep the base front struts, it won't be too expensive, just a bunch of work. New rotors are about $35 each and a nice pair of rebuilt calipers should cost about $180 after core refund (don't get the centric ones).

Tii calipers bolting do not align with 2002 strut bolting.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Man I really hate to bring this up but there is something funky going on with the firewall notch on your car, it should be a nice machine cut notch with smooth profile and well yours is not that. It should look like this one.c12_0612_13z-1972_bmw_2002_tii-engine.jpg?impolicy=modalgallerygrid

And yours looks like this. It bares investigation.

image.jpg.55354886a0b813a001c7d755f0146853.jpg

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Bringing the focus back to the brakes, how was the braking before you pulled the pads? The brake system on my base model looked pretty much the same , maybe even better, and couldn't stop if my life depended on it.