• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you want something done right, ...

JohnS

Jeez I guess it was easier to grind new bolts than walk over to the old shaft for the right bolts, and for the nylocks that many threads showing is just a poor practice the more turns through the locking material the more you cut threads into the material the more it lessens the locking power. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Oh, I forgot.  I had them take off the lock plate on the tranny output flange and check to make sure the nut was torqued to the correct spec.  I provided another new lock plate.  It wasn't torqued correctly.  Fail #6, You're OUT!!!!  ?At least I've found a new shop that knows what they're doing with our older cars.  Plus Nate loves his Border Collie who was in the shop.  I used to have Border Collies and so we talked about that and sheep herding with them which I also used to do with mine.  It been a great experience so far with them.  Good sense of humor too which is a plus in my book.  Glad that folks on here recommended them.  Cheers,

John

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Do you have your itemized list of fails with pics preferably to give to the original hacks?

Only way they will learn, assuming they want to... I guess its hard to blame this on ignorance when it screams downright negligence.  Still, I would have to confront them and explain in detail why they are total fu*ktards.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

Do you have your itemized list of fails with pics preferably to give to the original hacks?

Only way they will learn, assuming they want to... I guess its hard to blame this on ignorance when it screams downright negligence.  Still, I would have to confront them and explain in detail why they are total fu*ktards.

I thought about it, but then decided for my own health that I better not.  I don't do good confronting people.  I have a tendency to get angry and lose my cool which leads to nothing positive for anyone.  I decided to just eat it and move on.  These silly little cars aren't really worth getting my blood pressure elevated over.  I've actually laughed quite a bit about it after my initial anger.  I've been taking care of my ailing 94 yo mother who is blind and disabled.  It helps put things in perspective.  Are these silly little cars really that important?  Is money really that important?  I enjoy playing with them, but they're just material things that we won't be able to take with us in the end.  It's all a learning experience.  Like one of my Hawaiian waterman heroes Kai "Kaiborg" Garcia says:  "Stay Humble, Stay Open Minded, Stay Teachable".  I like that 

• Like 3

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

15 hours ago, JohnS said:

I have a tendency to get angry and lose my cool which leads to nothing positive for anyone. 

I know the feeling, and sometimes have the same issue controlling my anger when I feel like I’ve been screwed.  Glad you aren’t obsessing over it.  I’m sure posting your story here will cost the place a lot more business than what they’d refund you if you raised a stink anyway.  

• Like 1

Good News!  The Thrasher Lives!

Got the car back from Nate's shop.  Couldn't be happier.  Went for a nice long drive on the backroads near my house.  I forgot how good The Thrasher drives.  Doesn't look so nice, but has a 3.64 LSD and Full Dinan suspension package with custom valved Bilsteins (somewhere between the Sports & HeavyDuties).  Ran great, all is well in the world again.  Ran into Eric Freiz at Nate's shop.  I had never met him before but he was a super nice guy who knows all the local legends like Steve Kupper, Jan, Daniel and Tom Jones just to name a few.  Was a hoot talking with him. 

Oh, and the car shifts so much better with the shift lever installed the right way ? 

TheThrasher1.jpg

TheThrasher2.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 3

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Couldn't resist a twilight ride up into the mountains above Corralitos.  I did a loop

Corralitos Rd. --> Browns Valley Rd. --> Hazel Dell Rd. --> Green Valley Rd. (upper part)  --> Pioneer Rd. --> Varni Rd.  --> Back to Corralitos Rd.

You had to be careful.  Lots of Deer once you drop down into the apple orchard area in the upper part of Green Valley Rd.  Then the sweet aroma of Skunk Weed as you pass the area where the commercial Pot Growing industry has taken over.  It was a "sweet" ride ?

TwilightRide.jpg

Deer.jpg

• Like 4

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️