• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door moulding shrunk

geocon46
Go to solution Solved by esty,

20220602_143023.thumb.jpg.0d64903726db62abd220b3da96362658.jpgBeen working on this '74tii restoration for umpteen years and am finally reinstalling the interior. After sitting uninstalled for most of those years the plastic u-shaped trim which goes onto the pinch weld which surrounds the

complete door opening is short by about 3in. (see pic)

I'm baffled as to how this could be and wondering if anyone else has ever seen this happen  Also anyone been able to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help 

20220602_143042.jpg

That welting, IIRC, has a metal core, so I can't imagine how it could shrink that much.  Even if it's all plastic, three inches of shrinkage seems like a lot.  Perhaps thats a piece from the front edge of the door?

Measure the piece you have, and post the measurement.  I'll measure mine and we'll see if they're the same length, and where it begins up the door frame.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, Mike Self said:

That welting, IIRC, has a metal core, so I can't imagine how it could shrink that much.  Even if it's all plastic, three inches of shrinkage seems like a lot.  Perhaps thats a piece from the front edge of the door?

Measure the piece you have, and post the measurement.  I'll measure mine and we'll see if they're the same length, and where it begins up the door frame.  

mike

57 minutes ago, geocon46 said:

Will do

Laid out moulding and took some pics

Hope this helps 20220603_111513.thumb.jpg.2d9502956a5180e4fe4701d62626c005.jpg

The bit on the right (against the ruler) goes over the rear side window & down to the hoffmann kink. The cut-out goes over/at the top of the b pillar.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17