• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How hard should it be to put drum back on.

58 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

did the notch cut out end towards the back of the car where the e brake lever is…is that right?

The longest leg of the "spring holder thingy" goes behind the e-brake lever. Is that how you did it?

15 minutes ago, John76 said:

The longest leg of the "spring holder thingy" goes behind the e-brake lever. Is that how you did it?

I don’t think so…I want to say the back was open…or maybe it is broken. I’m gonna go take it all back apart. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

For sure…the hooks are hooked outside in…would that make that much difference?

The ends of the hooks can get caught on the e-brake arm.  The last guy didn't get the clue.  I seem to recall it's in the shop manual.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

It might just be the angle of the picture, but it looks like the

front adjuster's not all the way back.

That said, the rear shoe's sitting way back, even if the adjuster's

backed all the way off.  New shoes should sit against the 

fully- retracted adjuster pins.  Not much help for 'why,'

but immediate feedback for 'something's still not seated'.

As to 'why,' it looks like the parking brake lever's still pulling

on the bridge piece- that bridge should be free to rattle at full retracted,

parking brake fully off.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

7 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

Back on the ground. Feels amazing. High pedal! My 76 never felt like this. 

Nice work! I need to dig into my drums and free one of the driver’s side adjusters. That and a bleed (and maybe some fancy Porterfield pads and shoes) and I my stock setup will be back in top shape. A bit mediocre at the moment. 

1 hour ago, popovm said:

I need to dig into my drums and free one of the driver’s side adjusters.

Trick on freeing stuck adjusters:  instead of rounding off the adjuster heads or boogering 'em up with visegrips, pull off the shoes (I know, then you'll have to wrestle with the bitch W spring), spray plenty of penetrating oil on both sides of the adjuster, and grab the inside peg with a pair of vise grips.  Work it back and forth until it turns freely, wipe off the excess penetrating oil and reassemble. 

If the adjuster is really stuck, tickle it with a propane torch, but be sure and (1) shield the wheel cylinder and (2) have at least a wet rag handy in case some flames appear.  

mike

PS--someone on the board was offering thin box wrenches made especially for those adjusters... 

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 hours ago, Mike Self said:

If the adjuster is really stuck, tickle it with a propane torch, but be sure and (1) shield the wheel cylinder and (2) have at least a wet rag handy in case some flames appear.  

Isn't there a friction disc behind the adjuster.  If so a torch might not be the best choice.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

You might find a thin wrench at a bicycle shop that you can bend in a vice.

I've been using a 11/16" open end Blue-Point #LTA2022. This is ultra-thin but strong. 11/16" is actually 17.5mm, but I "squeezed" it a bit.

Might be able to find a 17mm version ... but this is what I found in my bike parts box.

687365599_RearBrakeAdjuster.thumb.JPG.a556dafba1eecd6bf07ef21eb8b83310.JPG

Well OP glad you are getting it all squared away.

I am struggling with the opposite, a brake drum that just won’t come off no matter I do. It’s on rust bucket my rodent destroyed 76.

The car spent 30+ years parked under a tree somewhere with  the park brake on I suspect.  Wheel cylinder is probably corroded and won’t retract. 
Tired of fighting it think it’s angle grinder time 

• Sad 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris