• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How hard should it be to put drum back on.

On 6/4/2022 at 6:43 PM, Mike Self said:

Trick on freeing stuck adjusters:  instead of rounding off the adjuster heads or boogering 'em up with visegrips, pull off the shoes (I know, then you'll have to wrestle with the bitch W spring), spray plenty of penetrating oil on both sides of the adjuster, and grab the inside peg with a pair of vise grips.  Work it back and forth until it turns freely, wipe off the excess penetrating oil and reassemble. 

If the adjuster is really stuck, tickle it with a propane torch, but be sure and (1) shield the wheel cylinder and (2) have at least a wet rag handy in case some flames appear.  

mike

PS--someone on the board was offering thin box wrenches made especially for those adjusters... 

Roger that. I knew about this but pretty sure it was from you from a previous post! Thank you, I appreciate that you continue to share the knowledge with us newbs. It’s gotta feel repetitive sometimes! 

Edited by popovm