• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Brake Pads Recommendations

Phi

Hi, 

I'm replacing all of the brake components of my '69 2002. I'm putting in Zimmermans rotors.  The car will be mainly street use.  No track or auto-X in it's future.  What would you recommend for good braking performance with low brake dust.

Thanks!  

Well, no such thing in my book.

I recommend hawk hp+ if they have your size. High Mu at 100F

Call Performance Friction for the rears and then have them grind them to your drum diameter.

PF does make a good front pad too but I don't remember the compound

OEM ATE pads create a lot of dust so I went with Porterfield R4-S’s. Happy so far…

• Like 3

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

3 hours ago, 1936spyder said:

OEM ATE pads create a lot of dust so I went with Porterfield R4-S’s. Happy so far…

That's good to know about the ATE.  Good thing they were OOS or I would pulled the trigger.  I'll take a look at  the Porterfields.  Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Well, no such thing in my book.

I recommend hawk hp+ if they have your size. High Mu at 100F

Call Performance Friction for the rears and then have them grind them to your drum diameter.

PF does make a good front pad too but I don't remember the compound

Thank you for the recommendation.  I guess it is a bit optimistic to have good braking but low dust.

Generally speaking you have your choice between pads that do a good job of stopping you with less pedal effort, don't squeal or have pads that don't dust.  Pick one.  Or two.   Anyone know of a trifecta?

For many years I used Metal Master pads, first bought because a mechanic friend told me they would stop a persistent squealing problem I had with the OEM ATE pads.  They did.

I then got some Poterfield street compound pads for my E30, and very much liked 'em even though they're not overly dust free--not a good thing with BBS basketweave wheels!  But they do stop you and are quiet.  The last set of pads put on my '73 are those same Porterfield street compound pads, and I like them too.  No squealing, good stopping power and since the 02's wheels are easier to clean, I don't mind the dust so much.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've really enjoyed the Pagid RSH (H for historic, the light blue pads) on my Alfa Giulia, and am considering to use them again for the front calipers; perhaps combined with Ferodo rear shoes.

Anybody experience with these?  How do they compare vs. the Porterfields R4S in terms of braking performance, cold braking, heat resistance, noise (squealing), dust ?

Edited by quant

BMW 2002ti (March 1970, Malaga)