• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to get OEM paint

Adam
Go to solution Solved by tech71,

A quick search of glasurit paint site no taiga, you need a paint store that can laser match your color, you'll need to choose between soild color or 2 stage paint. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 minute ago, Son of Marty said:

A quick search of glasurit paint site no taiga, you need a paint store that can laser match your color, you'll need to choose between soild color or 2 stage paint. 

Unfortunately my car is not taiga right now so they’ll have nothing to scan. Also what’s the difference between solid and 2 stage?

• Solution

I assume you are looking for the OE color as opposed to actual OE paint.

Taiga metallic is BMW paint code 072

Start here:

WWW.AUTOMOTIVETOUCHUP.COM

Touch Up Paint for your 1976 BMW All Models

Solid is applied in one coat

2 stage is a base coat with a coat (or 2 ) of clear applied over it.

For metallic paint I prefer 2 stage

You can also visit your local auto paint store and see what they can offer.

Metallic paint is not the best type  for a beginner to learn on, it can go south real fast. Gotta keep those millions of teeny tiny flecks of metal evenly distributed

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Solid color you spray your body color (after all the primers are applied and finished)  then you need color sand and polish the finish, 2 part paint you spray your body color then it overlaid by clear coat. But Adam if you need to ask you have a lot of research to do, new auto spray paint  can kill you if you don't use the required equipment, I believe that Eastwood has some video's on painting and u-tube has more.  

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

7 minutes ago, tech71 said:

I assume you are looking for the OE color as opposed to actual OE paint.

Taiga metallic is BMW paint code 072

Start here:

WWW.AUTOMOTIVETOUCHUP.COM

Touch Up Paint for your 1976 BMW All Models

Solid is applied in one coat

2 stage is a base coat with a coat (or 2 ) of clear applied over it.

For metallic paint I prefer 2 stage

You can also visit your local auto paint store and see what they can offer.

Metallic paint is not one for a beginner to learn on, it can go south real fast.

Is it hard enough that you would recommend going for mint green instead?

Just now, Son of Marty said:

Solid color you spray your body color (after all the primers are applied and finished)  then you need color sand and polish the finish, 2 part paint you spray your body color then it overlaid by clear coat. But Adam if you need to ask you have a lot of research to do, new auto spray paint  can kill you if you don't use the required equipment, I believe that Eastwood has some video's on painting and u-tube has more.  

Yeah I realized what you were talking about. I just didn’t think it was called 2 step I assumed it was all base and clear. I’ve watched all of the eastwood videos.

I believe all metallic paints are2 stage Mint green is a solid color and could sprayed either way, IMO solid color needs to be sprayed close to perfect while 2 stage can cover small discrepancies easier.

George S Patton 

15 minutes ago, Adam said:

Is it hard enough that you would recommend going for mint green instead?

Mint Grun is my all time favorite 2002 color.

I recommend you practice, a lot, on old fenders, whatever, before spraying either onto your car. Auto painting is as much art and skill as it is science.  It is possible for the DIYer to get good results... but it takes time, patience and lots of prep. 

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

When I was in high school I started to spray my first car, a bug eye sprite, that was British racing green but had mismatched areas. Anyway I go to the paint store and get a gallon of paint go to the shop and started painting pretty soon I'm through the first gallon and the car was only tinted green so I get another gallon and go for it after that gallon the car was somewhat greener but everything else in the shop was turning green. anyway as the counterman was mixing my 3rd gallon he asks what pressure I was spraying at I said pressure what ever the compressor put out (around 120 psi) whoops, not right, the paint was literally bouncing off the car.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Haha 3

George S Patton 

As a Taiga owner, decades ago, I had my car sprayed by a friend. Even though I required Glasurit two stage, he thought he would save a bit by using PPG single stage. He was about half way done when I arrived. Horrible!

I ended up taking the car and finding a shop that sprayed Glasurit AND would take on a botched job. So, despite paying twice, it ended up great. In fact, more than almost 30 years later it is still great.

So don't cheap out, save up for a quality job, there will be no excuses, and you will be proud of your car.

• Like 1

The glasurit paint and primer to paint a car is over 3k and would be wasted on a garage paint job…have the car painted by someone who paints cars and use BASF two stage in the Taiga metallic…my Ceylon Gold metallic in BASF Paint.

F7383B4D-B0A0-4417-B2FC-E1166B6D8EB5.jpeg

• Like 8

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Metallic paints are available either in single stage or two stage, but the two stage is FAR easier to fix if you develop a flaw.  I recommend two stage as the others have mentioned.  Also, when shooting a metallic, watch a few videos to get the proper technique (proper overlap and paint once in one direction, then recoat 90 degrees to the last coat to avoid "tiger stripes".  Practice first on areas that are not as critical (i.e. inner fenders, inside trunk, etc.).  Study up before hand, take your time getting the paint gun set properly, make sure you use an air dryer, get a 3M paint respirator and seal off the rest of your house from the garage,  lightly wet the floor of your garage to keep the dust down, and it should work out fine.   

One more word of wisdom, great paint jobs are the result of LOTS of prep work.  Any flaws still on the car are magnified once you have a nice shiny paint job. Spend the time needed to make the surface perfect and you'll be happy with the result.

Edited by EricA
  • Like 3