• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sunroof

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my sunroof will not open in my 1973 2002 What do i need to do? And on the drivers side of the heater box in side the car i can see what appears to be evidence of an old leak as it is not wet at this time What could this mean. Help Help Help

Guest Anonymous

You can remove the sunroof panel to check for a broken cable/rusted/stuck crank mechanism thusly:

1. pop the sunroof panel headliner loose along the leading edge, and carefully slide it back, revealing the mounting mechansim

2. undo the small bolts that hold the cable brackets to the sunroof panel. Don't disturb the knurled nuts; they provide the height adjustment for the panel.

3. Make sure you note the positions of all the little lock plates so you'll get 'em back together correctly.

4. Push up on the front edge of the sunroof panel and carefully remove it (it helps to have a friend to help). Then you can check the cables and crank mechanism to make sure they're not broken/stuck etc.

As for the heater leak--you'll need to determine if the leak is rainwater seeping between the heater box and the body, or a leaking heater core inside the heater box allowing coolant to drip into the car. The former may be due to plugged heater plenum drains or dried out caulking; the latter is gonna require removing the heater box and repairing the heater core.

Happy troubleshooting

Mike