• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should LSD make noise on hard turns?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, but I have no prior experience with E21 LSD's. I have no unusual noises going straight or 'normal' corners, but on a hard corner I hear what almost sounds like a rubbing noise from the outside rear.

Normal? (can't find evidence of tire rub)

Thanks!

John N.

Guest Anonymous

I have a similar problem and a bunch of new c/v joints that need to go in. But now I'm thinking, since I KNOW the diff mount is dead, maybe that's the problem.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Robert

Guest Anonymous

If it happens in slow turns its probably the inside tire slipping to make up for the lock up, What lock up percentage are you running, my 70% makes noise in any slow turn even in reverse....Marty....

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/lsdfmbti.htm

Sometimes the clutches get a little dirty and you can hear a noise on slow turns. There is an additive (IIRC) that will clean it up. You may do well to change to redline and use the additive (I think it is called GL-5) available at your local Chebby dealer. This was the problem and solution on my M635. Look at the redline link.

Guest Anonymous

jack one rear wheel up and turn it by hand. It will take some effort to make it slip, but it should turn smoothly if in proper condition. Next, I would check the breakaway torque to see what condition the clutch mechanism is in. What I do (it'll be easier for you with one wheel locking one side) is put a 2x4 or something equivalent, and slide a known weight (I use a brick) and slide it along the 2x4 until the LSD 'slips'. Then just calc. weight x distance. A later E21 LSD (25% lockup) should be in the 15-20 ftlbs. range. An earlier (pre 79) which are 40%, should be proportionally higher than the breakaway torque for a 24% unit. If your breakaway torque is low, then you need to get the LSD adjusted or overhauled.

Didn't you swap in the 02 flanges? Could it be something to do with that? If you've got some extra spare time, taking it out and apart might be a good idea so you don't damage something. Better safe than sorry. Just a thought.

Gil