• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like my alternator bit the dust

3 hours ago, tech71 said:

yeah, that pretty much requires some kind of meter to quantify?

you can disconnect the neg battery terminal while at idle.. if it keeps running your alternator is producing some current.

Does your cigarette lighter work?

Plug one of these into it

https://www.amazon.com/Palumma-Charger-Adapter-Display-Battery/dp/B0773BYS6P/ref=sr_1_20?crid=FFVM1OBNN3RK&keywords=lighter%2Badapter%2Bplug%2Bfor%2Bcar%2Bwith%2Bvolt%2Bgauge&qid=1658955882&sprefix=lighter%2Badapter%2Bplug%2Bfor%2Bcar%2Bwith%2Bvolt%2Bgauge%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-20&th=1

And if the idjit light is off, he's likely okay.

;-)

Edited by ray_
typoo

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

13.6- 13.8v, ideally.

Sorry, could not resist...

t

You don't have the capacitance.

:D

• Haha 1

Ray

On 6/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, Tdh said:

Had one here up until last year. He finally gave up.  It was a sad day for the gear heads in Augusta...

here in LA we have dozens of rad shops still

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

So far, so good. 12 trips, 14 starts, no sign of power loss. battery appears to be charging the only wonky thing going one is my temp gage acting up. prior to rebuilding the alternator and replacing the regulator, it was perfect and accurate. Currently, it's steady as it warms up, but shoots high when warm. The signals and headlights make it go higher and bouncy. At acceleration, it levels back out and rather steady. I checked the usual spots under the hood with a digital thermostat and the temps are fine.

Thinking maybe it's the new regulator? bad ground?

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

1 hour ago, joebarthlow said:

yes, I installed it in the same place as the old one

Good.

There's a cluster of ground wires on one of the mounting screws. Clean everything involved.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Did you include a ground wire on the alternator itself?  They usually have a little nut on one of the bolts on the alternator housing that you attach a ground wire back to the alternator mount where it bolts to the engine block or anywhere that's a solid ground.  That's because the alternator metal body isn't grounded very well because of the rubber bushings in the mount insulating it from the block.

Something like the brown wire in the pic.  I stole this pic from another thread on this forum...

From our good buddy Paul W (RIP)

EDIT:  Sorry, I reread the entire thread and see that the ground wire was already covered.  Sorry folks...

AltGround.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️