• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-heater - images of early version

zambo

Hi Everyone

I did a search and not much luck with my effort. I'm looking for the early type I think that was a round canister versus the later square box. I'm trying to figure out if it was a simpler operation than the levered functioning square box version. Thanks as always.

Edited by zambo

51 minutes ago, steve k. said:

This is the one on the NK. I do not know if early '02 ones are the same. It is lever operated like the square ones.

AFAIK early 1600s used the same sheet metal pre-heater assembly as NK sedans, but I've not seen (at least a US spec) 2002 that I know had one from the factory.  They were all the plastic variety, and I suspect the changeover was with the 1968 model year for the 1600s.

Both metal and plastic versions function the same, just different materials and shapes.

Someone with an early US spec 68 1600 (i.e. a 12 v car) can chime in with what was on their car...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, jgerock said:

Not a great picture of Meg’s car

I like what she did with the spare spark plugs.  This 1967 BMW 1600 6V car at Rey's shop in San Juan Capistrano had a round summer box, upper radiator hose with the bulge, and the "football" windshield washer tank.  

Mark92131

2017-04-29 12.36.35.jpg

• Like 2

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

2 hours ago, zambo said:

This is the one I came by recently which was identified as an E10 fitting, but just wondering ...

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0750.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

What's an E10????

• Haha 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Meg’s car is one of my favorites. The former owner made all the cool modifications.  Believe Keith Kreeger’s website my2002tii.com has some details when Meg bought the car.

A702F629-58B5-4AA1-B102-E6CF2F638093.jpeg

B269004C-FF59-4278-B1A0-FA4130CE4BA4.jpeg

AF8D26E0-D7B9-4547-9410-7C3C8A14DAEF.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, zambo said:

This is the one I came by recently which was identified as an E10 fitting, but just wondering ...

RealOEM shows both the straight-pipe round summer box and the angled-pipe version you have pictured, but no description or part numbers for either one (#2 and #14).  Having never seen the #14 version mounted, there must be something else needed for that angled connection to connect to the pipe in the radiator support.  Either the pipe in the radiator support is angled, or there is some kind of hose (#4 Backup ring) that allows the summer box enough room to connect to the pipe in the radiator support.

I am assuming the smallest of the 3 connections on the summer box, connects to a hose that attaches to the protective cover on the exhaust manifold.

Mark92131

download.jpg

2022-06-29 18_43_01-RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog.png

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

13 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

RealOEM shows both the straight-pipe round summer box and the angled-pipe version you have pictured, but no description or part numbers for either one (#2 and #14).  Having never seen the #14 version mounted, there must be something else needed for that angled connection to connect to the pipe in the radiator support.  Either the pipe in the radiator support is angled, or there is some kind of hose (#4 Backup ring) that allows the summer box enough room to connect to the pipe in the radiator support.

I am assuming the smallest of the 3 connections on the summer box, connects to a hose that attaches to the protective cover on the exhaust manifold.

Mark92131

download.jpg

2022-06-29 18_43_01-RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog.png

#14 is very cool — although I’ve never seen one in person, or even in a photo, installed. It doesn’t appear to have a winter-summer lever. And it’s got an additional, screened, air intake. Could it be for a special market, e.g., extreme north, tropical?

Have any NK owners seen a #14 in place? If so, what are the facts, e.g., early car, northern car, tropical car?

The angled air entry pipe in the example(s) shown in photographs does not appear to be as sharply angled as on the drawing in the parts catalogue. Maybe it will work without additional hoses or attachments.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

15 hours ago, jgerock said:

Meg’s car is one of my favorites. The former owner made all the cool modifications.

I believe the original owner of her car bought everything that fit his 1600 from the Vielen B Hahn catalog (anyone here old enough to remember those wish books?).  

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

17 hours ago, jgerock said:

AF8D26E0-D7B9-4547-9410-7C3C8A14DAEF.jpeg

That picture of the spark plug holder thing brings back bad memories.  I had ordered two of those from the FAQer who used to make them and never received anything.  Then the guy totally ghosted me.  The only time I've ever been burned by someone on the FAQ.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️