• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-heater - images of early version

zambo

22 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

I am assuming the smallest of the 3 connections on the summer box, connects to a hose that attaches to the protective cover on the exhaust manifold.

download.jpg

2022-06-29 18_43_01-RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog.png

I've never seen that angled connection before.  But as along as we're in the subject it's worth noting the existence of the bushing that connects the box to the hose that goes down to the protective cover on the manifold. Part #:

The only one I've ever seen is on my own car. Acquired years ago from junk.se

B4F2AF5D-DE73-4F8F-86B2-844625C5B2D4.thumb.jpeg.dc0e55e25b36a996a3e704de925ede92.jpeg

• Like 2

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

• 5 weeks later...

I am resurrecting this one as I just had another look at the part and for the life of me I cannot figure out what climate it was made for. Maybe ultra-cold climates ...?

Reason being, the section on the part that connects to the circular fresh air intake in the front clip is closed at the can - that connection to the front of the car appears just there to support the weight of the part. The part that drags air in is thru the large circular meshed section which faces into the engine bay, kind of pointing in the direction of the RH inner guard. So that would be warm air not long after start up you'd think. The other open section of the can that has a pipe running off it connects to the end of the air cleaner via the flexible coupling. That makes sense. The small pipe on the bottom is closed at the can.

So still a bit intriguing where it was used, territory/climate/hemisphere wise ... the other reason I thought I'd comment further is I found this same part in a fairly rusty '72 I am parting out to some fellow owners - just thrown in the boot (trunk) with other random bits ... so never having seen one of these in the flesh in 16 yrs I've owned my 02, I've now got two!

Edited by zambo