• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crank pulley marks for timing

bimmerwork

On some crank pulleys, the marks have no relation to TDC or static timing, no idea why but its true. I have an engine from a 74 with a crank bully like this, had to mark it myself.

Recommend you bring the engine to TDC and see if any marks line up before trusting them.

Static timing is 8 degrees BTDC or there abouts

2 hours ago, Lorin said:

Use the flywheel marks. 

Too freakin hard to see, Maybe after engine replacement/ flywheel clean up and paint marking

IMG_2666.JPG

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

The above photo shows the pointer at TDC. The line next to it is the Static timing mark. The third line is the Z (BB) @ 25 deg. BTDC.

Best to check what shows up on the crank pulley when you see the TDC mark on the flywheel. Much easier to see compared to searching for that BB.

125826718_TopDeadCenterMark(2).jpg.6b64741e6ef8cbd815ef7612804addbb.jpg

29 minutes ago, John76 said:

Best to check what shows up on the crank pulley when you see the TDC mark on the flywheel. Much easier to see compared to searching for that BB.

I agree, not a bad idea to pull the valve cover and also verify the cam line at the oil spray bar as well.  Is the "OT" mark TDC, the line the Static Timing line, and the "Ball" 25 Degrees BTDC on the flywheel pictured below corresponding with the crank pulley marks?  I always thought the line was TDC, but I may have been wrong all these years.  What degree BTDC is the static timing line?

Mark92131

1_TimingChain_Gear_Align.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.91c9f383a51e535fcb89b2658026ad0c.jpeg

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

1 hour ago, Mark92131 said:

I always thought the line was TDC

Mark,

When I checked TDC with the head off, the line next to the TO (or OT) stamp was the correct mark. 

The factory probably omitted the Static mark since it could be different for various engine builds.

Easier to have a flywheel with universal markings for all models, and just change the crank pulley if needed.

I only have the TDC mark on my pulley ... no static or Z mark.

John

• Like 1

There are a lot of front pulleys, and not all of them are marked.

The flywheel is more reliable- but not infallible.  When in doubt,

TDC #1 through the spark plug hole, and see what else shows up!

t

what do you mean, the flywheel's off 90?

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL