• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Disassembly

mgbgt

My jack it hard to turn so want to disassemble it and clean and lube it.  I can't get the shaft you turn out of the beveled gear at the top.  Any insight into how to disassemble it?  Looks like once that is off you can pull the little axle out of the top and screw out the rod.

Thanks in advance.

If you're referring to that one-legged thing that the factory foisted off on us as a proper tool to change tires with, I think that was part of their revenge for WW II.  You've got two choices:  

1.  throw in the neighbor's pool
  2.  clamp it down in it's designated location for display purposes and never, ever use it to jack the car up.  

Those jacks are dangerous!  Unless the surface is perfectly level (and even if it is), it's terrifyingly easy for a car to fall off one--ask me how I know.  I used mine exactly once (in 53 years), shortly after I bought the car.  Just as I was loosening the lug nuts it fell off the jack--on level concrete. 

For a few bucks you can pick up a scissors jack at a local pick 'n pull--find one whose handle/lug wrench fits our lug nuts, and use it.  I have one that I set in upside down between the top of the inner rear fender well and the underside of the package shelf.  Out of the way, will stay in place and won't rattle when slightly tensioned.

mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have only had to use the BMW '02 jack a few times and I had no trouble, BUT, I carry a couple of BMW wheel chocks with the car. You can find them on Ebay for $20 or so, sometimes less.

1810288168_BMWWheelChock1.thumb.jpg.3dd819e88d75ffb443cac5b7ef3daf8e.jpg

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I wouldn't even inflict the factory jack on the neighbor's pool...

the chocks come from BMWs and Mercs at the pull- a- part

and they usually don't even charge me for them.

A buck or 2 if they do.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

So much for jack disassembly advice... I don't trust them either.

I've been carrying a scissor jack forever, but recently decided to remove the original jack and store the Subaru jack in its place.  I shared this in the "what did you do to your 2002 today" thread, but will post it again here, because it makes me happy.

image.thumb.jpeg.608af3d1528c14ffcc97d1ae467209af.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.864dd5515f51ece45486c560a8172beb.jpeg

It is a simple block of wood that indexes the jack with a hole for the hinge and a little metal pin that fits into the jack mount bracket.  There's 3/8" clearance between the jack and the quarter panel.

image.thumb.jpeg.6414d0b0158216c2b373cd93004dcaeb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.77da6495cc2a4e5fe8388d7e50a0ca16.jpeg

It's pretty cool how the lug wrench fits into the jack's foot.  It's like it was meant to be!

image.thumb.jpeg.9b3d28a7609f9128640e59a8450adf62.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.683480bc262644a55c40a07c7989cbf5.jpeg

Tom

• Like 1

I found the tip of the first one I cut underneath the bench, after it shot out of the chop-saw.  A little CA glue sticks them back together.  They don't work in the pencil sharpener after being 'bent', but they stay sharp for a long time, so it's not really a problem.

image.thumb.jpeg.c9cfdda0f5a9c782ab6d244d92f73572.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lorin said:

And sometimes not even all the main tyres !

Where's my rolling resistance calculation...?

?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.