• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hole in top of Tii front cowl, what's this for?

bergie33

Thus far, I’m seeing:

1. Only one hole on cars manufactured prior to September 1974,

2. Only two holes on cars manufactured after August 1974,

3. So far, we have not seen a hole on a car earlier than VIN 2587591, manufactured January 1973 — and this hole has “made-by-hand” imperfections, and 

4. So far, we have not seen holes on cars manufactured after August 1975.

In summation, the tidbits of data collected thus far suggest it might be a 1973, 1974, and 1975 model year occurrence. The explanations for the single-hole and double-hole versions may be related or independent.

The holes appear on a minority of surviving cars.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

And, Karl, I guess the hole stays… ?

Next time you’ll probably think twice before you throw raw meat into the shark-infested waters! ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Conserv said:

And, Karl, I guess the hole stays… ?

Next time you’ll probably think twice before you throw raw meat into the shark-infested waters! ?

Best regards,

Steve

Steve, I guess you are correct, the hole does stay.  I really wasn't expecting a 7 page discussion... lesson learned. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

I'm disappointed that after 7 pages of posts, the highly technical and honored FAQ hasn't produced the official reasoning for the hole.  Am I missing something, my car doesn't have "The hole".  It should be the hot topic discussion at 02 gatherings. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 minutes ago, jimk said:

I'm disappointed that after 7 pages of posts, the highly technical and honored FAQ hasn't produced the official reasoning for the hole.  Am I missing something, my car doesn't have "The hole".  It should be the hot topic discussion at 02 gatherings. :rolleyes:

And then you have to determine if your car underwent body modification to add the hole if you have it, or body modification to cover the hole if you don't. 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

1 minute ago, bergie33 said:

And then you have to determine if your car underwent body modification to add the hole if you have it, or body modification to cover the hole if you don't. 

It's a one owner, so any mods have been by yours truly. 

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

10 hours ago, jimk said:

Jim,

For the single-hole occurrence, I’m going with the “long screwdriver and points” explanation — until it becomes painful to accept it…

For the double-hole occurrence, I plan to shrug my shoulders and change the subject — by the way, how’s the weather in Denver? 

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jimk said:

I'm disappointed that after 7 pages of posts, the highly technical and honored FAQ hasn't produced the official reasoning for the hole. 

Please define "official."  Do you mean something like a memo sent out by BMW telling mechanics to drill a hole there?

To me  )=unoficially=(  it seems perfectly reasonable to assume  the hole was added to quell the incoming complaints from BMW mechanics having to adjust the points gap on vacuum retard distributors that have "backwards" points that are located on the back side of the distributor.

Part of the problem with those distributors is that you cannot simply install them 180 degrees out, due to the placement of the vacuum pod and clearance issues with the valve cover and temp sensor.  So, that leaves the points hard to get to.  Another part of the problem is that they're vacuum retard.  What are you supposed to do with that feature?  (once you ditch the emissions features).

Tom

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Conserv said:

3. So far, we have not seen a hole on a car earlier than VIN 2587591, manufactured January 1973 — and this hole has “made-by-hand” imperfections, and 

Vin 2587591 with the imperfect, crude hole (photos on page #4) indeed has reverse points.  I have been told and purchase points for a distributor from a '74 Tii.  I do not know the differences in distributors. One of the POs did it.

When adjusting points on the car, it is much easier accomplished with a long screw driver through the aforementioned hole.

FWIW, trying to get to page eight.

Don

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

This thread is going to easily make it to page 8 if not beyond.  I don't think I can ever look at a tii again without checking to see if there is a hole in the top of the front cowl.  FWIW, here's a picture of a 72 tii, #2761229, that went up on BaT this morning with a hole in the front cowl.  

1972 2002 tii.webp

• Like 1

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

If it has a hole, will it have dimples?

If it doesn't have the hole, will the dimples be less likely?

Why does the picture above have a ballast resistor and a blue coil AND a hole?

And a 318 valve cover?

How many angels can fit through the intake tract of a tii?

t

ba- na- na!

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

9 hours ago, Charles in PA said:

This thread is going to easily make it to page 8 if not beyond.  I don't think I can ever look at a tii again without checking to see if there is a hole in the top of the front cowl.  FWIW, here's a picture of a 72 tii, #2761229, that went up on BaT this morning with a hole in the front cowl.  

1972 2002 tii.webp

Now THAT’s a hole for a hood alarm! Or… they missed the distributor… by a lot. Anyway, VIN 2761229 began life as a 121-head, plastic runner tii. Now it has aluminum runners, a valve cover from an e21 (note mounting boss for cold start valve), and, no doubt, a complex history…

Through the power not invested in me, I’m disqualifying this example — partly because it also screws up the time line I previously drafted… ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am the second owner and my January '73 engine bay (dist. might be from a '72 though) was probably done with sheet metal shears (ouch). Be thankful you only have a small hole to worry about. It wasn't a factory/dealer option introducing the new BMW 2002 "lightweight" model. Holes were drilled, punched and cut to loosen/start/adjust the points screw using a long screw driver and then to adjust/set the dwell using a remote starter. Flat rate dealer techs would use the hole to "beat" the book (Flat Rate Units) time set by BMW to perform a Tuneup or Inspection. Techs would talk to each other and trade ideas when they would meet for service training and discuss their ways to massage carbs, pass smog and new short cuts to beat the times and get more work done. Its not for everyone but, in my case, this cutout will be repaired and then properly drilled for a rubber plug or grommet. ...The eighth page, maybe?

cutout.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, R.I.P.B.M.W. said:

cutout.jpg

Even if you didn’t quite get us to Page Eight, you’ve earned the coveted Best Visual Presentation Award. ?

The long screwdriver prop, aptly applied and in dramatic foreshortening, is pure genius… ?

The forum thanks you!

Regards,

Steve