• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

holy grail ?? a Turbo now on BaT .......

Early production Turbo (0443).  I'm betting on a near $100k selling price...it looks quite pristine...but I'd almost rather have one in "daily driver" condition; then I'd actually drive it instead of trailering it everywhere.  02s are meant to be driven.

If you think the 5j x 13 (plain, not slotted) wheels used on 72-73 tii's are rare, try those 5.5j x 13 Turbo wheels, or the 6" soup plate wheels.  While they look similar, the Turbo steel wheels have a different (and proper 2002) offset from the E21 wheels.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

… While they look similar, the Turbo steel wheels have a different (and proper 2002) offset from the E21 wheels…

Mike,

Those fender flares permitted BMW to break free from the traditional ‘02 offsets with the factory turbo. The turbo steelies differ from the e21 steelies in two ways:

1. paint scheme: silver face for e21’s; silver and gray face for turbo (which became silver and black face on later turbo replacement rims), and

2. generally, manufacturing date. But very late turbos (April to June 1975) and very early Euro-spec e21’s (May to June 1975) have some overlap in production period.

If I run across a set of 5.5 x 13, ET18, styled-steel rims, manufactured May 1975, I’m going to list them on BAT as “bona fide turbo rims” and I’ll probably get a couple of million for them, certainly enough to buy a nice turbo. ? ? Just sayin’… ?

But both steel rims were 5.5 x 13, ET18.

Below, from RealOEM.com, the first photo is the steel rim parts schematic for turbos; the second photo is the analogous schematic for e21’s.

Best regards,

Steve

D5DB5FAB-E811-4FBE-A53B-2F0AB91C7EF0.jpeg

1527F378-BC66-4D25-B66C-26A03E9A59F6.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As it reportedly sold for $154k a little ove a year ago, (not sure if that includes the normal auction mark-ups), I guess we know the ballpark figure the Seller is looking for.

I wonder if this car was ridden hard & put up wet in its past. Supposedly 60k miles and needed an engine rebuild, front fenders and maybe the nose replaced. Hmmm!

1974 BMW 2002 Turbo VIN: 4290443 - CLASSIC.COM

• Like 3

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

33 minutes ago, Lorin said:

It’s the touch screen stereo that really makes this one special. 

By a quick glance through the pics that's the only thing that should be corrected right away. Preferably before first drive (only in my dreams) by throwing it to a pool or something. Other minor issues could wait or be accepted. Upper fender seams are a bit disturbing.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

By a quick glance through the pics that's the only thing that should be corrected right away. Preferably before first drive (only in my dreams) by throwing it to a pool or something. Other minor issues could wait or be accepted. Upper fender seams are a bit disturbing.

+1

Agreed!

And the un-filled upper fender seams are especially odd on a zillion dollar turbo. Where was the “02 authenticity and quality team” when that decision was made? ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

20 minutes ago, kiva667 said:

What's sad to be is that the 1800ti also on BaT right now will probably fetch only a third of what this turbo will. IMO the 1800 on offer is FAR more interesting.

What is disturbing if you search BMW NK on BAT, majority of the 1600 2d cars that show up. So many 1600 slipping away that way when they clearly belong under 2002/2002tii/1600 search. Just like that Alpina A4 engine listed now can't be found by searching a 2002/2002tii. When that engine was designed to go in one of those. Same thing with the tii model cars. They just put it all by itself. It's equivalent to listing an M3 not under a 3series car. I don't understand. 

I thought BAT group is bunch of car nuts but it looks like they are overwhelmed with making money and sometimes overlooking these serious category issues. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Unfilled front fender seams and filled rear fender seams = chaos I tell you CHAOS!!!!!

To me rear looks ok except those two large holes around the plate. ?

I would want to adjust leading edge of the rear bumper a bit down, but wouldn't call that a problem.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!