• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black paint behind grill

fritz02

I found an area behind one of the front side grills on my ‘73 tii where the paint had chipped away and the metal had rusted. I cleaned it up and primed it and was about to order a rattle can of Chamonix paint and clearcoat when a knowledgeable friend told me that BMW brush painted the radiator bulkhead, hood hinge supports and the panels behind the headlight buckets black. Does anyone know for sure if this is true before I slap on a bunch of POR15 or undercoat on it?

Any guidance or reference would be greatly appreciated. 
Paul

The black paint was brushed onto the hood supports and on a bit of the radiator support on lighter colors not so much behind the head lights, the idea was looking straight on the front the grill cavity would be black. The brushing was pretty crudely done.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Interesting pictures posted thus far...on my Nevada '69 (bought new, Feb 69 production) the only parts painted black (with a brush) were the two hood hinge supports and the four little tabs into which the side grilles' screws are placed.  Nothing else.  

Same with my Sahara '73 (Dec 72 production).  And in both cases it's obvious that Hans or Fritz eyeballed the part lines; no evidence of masking tape or a template where the black paint (semi gloss/semi flat) meets the body color.  I faithfully reproduced those lines...with a brush.  

And for you minutia folks, the paint on the grille screw tabs was applied before the plastic (or metal, depending on year) screw inserts were installed. 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite