• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recently aquired '72 tii

RoyW

I just picked up this little gem a couple weeks ago... long story short, it sorta found me!  I thought I was all done with "project cars", but  it looks like I'll have another crack at 2002 ownership :) Should have never sold my last one, but now have another chance... and, with a tii  YEA!!

It will need some mechanical sorting, as it's been driven very little in the past 12 years. And at some point, small rust spots and a few dings will need repair, as well as a full re-spray. In the late 80's it had a major restoration, e.g., engine refresh; interior refresh; some typical mods added; new wheels; full re-paint; etc., etc. Since that time 4 or 5 owners.

Looking forward to building a plan and driving her, as is, for a while, Ultimately, I'll bring it back to top condition and mostly stock... a potential time capsule I'm hoping!

-RoyW

P7190056.JPG

P7190059.JPG

P7190063.JPG

P7190065.JPG

P7190072.JPG

P7190076.JPG

P7190078.JPG

P7190081.JPG

P7190085.JPG

P7190087.JPG

• Like 19

16 hours ago, gracer said:

That looks like a 73 TII to me.  The bumper overriders and the intake tubes are the clue.  The ultimate TII in my opinion.

Yes, but… the bumpers are tucked in like pre-1973 bumpers (a.k.a., 2 1/2 mph bumpers) and there is no cowl notch as one generally finds with an E12 head and aluminum intake runners. The switch for the heating/defrosting fan is to the left of the instrument binnacle — 1972 style — not incorporated into the slide controls.

I’m guessing it’s a 1972 model (VIN 2760001 through 2762629) with some 1973-model components. Late round taillight perforated vinyl and retracting seat belts, mounted high on B pillar, suggest it’s probably after VIN 2760444, or so. I wouldn’t be shocked if the “1973 U.S.” front bumper overriders, which were also the Euro bumper overriders from April 1971 through the end of ‘02 production, appeared on the car at the same time that the U.S. rear bumper overriders disappeared — a minor Eurofication!

Looks like a great starting point for a serious restoration or a great ending point if you’d just like to drive it!

Congratulations and welcome back!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve.... as you surmised, it is a '72 with some '73 bits added by previous owner(s). VIN 2761498. Thanks for the welcome back. I'll likely opt for the "serious restoration" :)

-RoyW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember that car. It was owned by Mike Kuhn, Dallas, TX. I met him at a Dallas event in 2005 & I think he sold the car shortly after. I believe Peter Slishkovich was a previous Owner.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 6:44 PM, 02Les said:

I remember that car. It was owned by Mike Kuhn, Dallas, TX. I met him at a Dallas event in 2005 & I think he sold the car shortly after. I believe Peter Slishkovich was a previous Owner.

Yes, Mike Kuhn is on the ownership tree. He may be the one that did most/all of the restoration work the first time around back in the late 80's? Now it's time for the second go around :)

-RoyW

13 minutes ago, RoyW said:

… Now it's time for the second go around :) …

Let me just say, Roy, you came to the right place!

We are really good at spending other forum members’ money… ?? All you have to do is ask!

Well… actually, you don’t really need to ask: we’ll just start listing all the things you, no doubt, will want to do in order to make your car perfect! I mean, everyone wants their car to be perfect. Right? ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Nice acquisition, one I am sure you will never regret no matter how much you end up putting into this beauty on the second go around, not that it looks like it needs a lot of work.  Good luck with your project and most of all, enjoy!

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 10:20 AM, Conserv said:

Let me just say, Roy, you came to the right place!

We are really good at spending other forum members’ money… ?? All you have to do is ask!

Well… actually, you don’t really need to ask: we’ll just start listing all the things you, no doubt, will want to do in order to make your car perfect! I mean, everyone wants their car to be perfect. Right? ?

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve.... agreed, at least in my case, "make your car perfect"  LOL!!  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't touch that car (ok, well except for taking that wrap off the steering wheel ?), just drive the crap out of it and enjoy! Looks amazing, congrats and welcome!

• Like 2

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

3 hours ago, JohnP_02 said:

I wouldn't touch that car (ok, well except for taking that wrap off the steering wheel ?), just drive the crap out of it and enjoy! Looks amazing, congrats and welcome!

Thanks for your thoughts... I may just do that, but the perfectionist in me is beckoning to have the exterior flaws repaired at some point1 :)

BTW. I don't think that's a wrap on the steering wheel, just the stock leather stitched onto the metal wheel beneath? It's a great feeling and great looking wheel, I think... pretty rare too I was told by a knowledgeable source. I may be wrong, not 100% certain?

-RoyW

Made a little progress on the '72 tii in terms of cleaning her up a bit and replacing the very, very old dry-rotted tires YIKES!!!  I also did the following:

- cleaned up, de-rusted, and painted the spare tire wheel and had a new tire mounted

- power washed the engine bay and removed crumbling under-hood insulation

- removed panels and cleaned up in trunk (still need to remove the panel by the gas filler neck). Removed old dried adhesive, scrapped up minor surface rust areas in trunk.

- detailed the interior, include headliner, seats, console, dash, carpets

Next in trunk area is more clean-up and prep-work, with some paint touch-up and wire re-wrapping. Also some needed repair and full painting of trunk panels. Retrofit taillight assemblies with brighter bulbs

Next I'll be bringing the car to a BMW shop for full mechanical assessment and repair of some know issues (ones I can't or choose not to do), plus prioritization of newly discovered issues. Known issues include: no brake, turn signal, and e-flasher lights (have headlights and running lights); left front brakes grab hard and pull car left; struts/shocks feel tired; takes 3 tries to start every time; interior fan not working; dash lights extremely dim (dead bulbs?); left side bright headlight bulb out

I'm certain that other issues, preventative or otherwise, will be discovered and we'll plan from there, including fresh fluids, e.g., oil, tranny, diff, maybe brake pads/shoes, etc., with the goal of a fresh baseline being established.

Here's a few pictures of before and after clean-up as described above.

-RoyW

P7190096.JPG

P7190098.JPG

P8090146.JPG

P8090147.JPG

P7190075.JPG

P8090143.JPG

P7190077.JPG

P7190079.JPG

P8090144.JPG

P7190094.JPG

P7190095.JPG