• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recently aquired '72 tii

RoyW

3 hours ago, RoyW said:

36 grit, then 80 grit was used

I was going to say just 80 grit, but 36 would make short work of it.

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Per my body & paint guy, "you have to be careful with the 80 grit, and not stay too long in one spot, getting that part of the panel too hot or there could be a problem, i.e., warping, etc."  Paraphrasing further: not as big a concern with the 36 grit, as it does make quick work of it, thus keeps the sander moving and less chance for this potential issue

You also need to be aware of the shadow lines mostly on the roof and sides, you can sand them off in just a second if you're not paying attention to them.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped in at the body & paint shop this week and they are making great progress on the paint stripping and body repair on the ’02tii.  All the hidden past (51 years) comes out with this process as minor fender-benders are discovered, in addition to the small dings, dents, and rust areas that needed attention.

Most previous repairs were poorly executed and just filled in and not properly pulled or cut out first… this has all been remedied, as well as fresh metal fab work, where needed on the most serious rust spots (there weren’t that many). There is still some more stripping to do when the windows come out, but most of the heavy work is completed, with multiple primer and finishing process steps next before the color phase… in fact, the hood and trunk lid are now off the car and in the next primer phase.

Meanwhile, I have thoroughly cleaned and conditioned, refinished, and/or polished all the exterior trim pieces, as well as interior panels, rear seats, and trunk panels. I also will be ordering new fasteners for the exterior trim.

I’ll provide more photos of the body and paint work on the car as it progresses thru Feb and March, and I look forward to re-assembly of all that is currently off the car maybe in April and addressing those future items referenced earlier, e.g., suspension, interior fan, sound system, etc.  J

-RoyW

P2020842.JPG

P2020843.JPG

P2020845.JPG

P2020846.JPG

P2020848.JPG

P2030189.JPG

P2030190.JPG

P2030191.JPG

697141302.jpg

Edited by RoyW
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

The seams are filled in by the taillights. Is that intentional ?  

Car is looking good . Well done

Thanks. I hadn't noticed the seams being filled-in where the rear panel meets the back panel near tail-lights??  It wasn't intentional. I'll have to speak to my body/paint guy about that... I'm not sure if that would be a potential problem or a benefit... other than not as original?  Thoughts?

-RoyW

40 minutes ago, RoyW said:

I'm not sure if that would be a potential problem or a benefit... other than not as original?

My body guy repaired some issues with the driver's side rear panel and filled the seam just before it went to paint.  I ended up with one side filled and one side unfilled.  It drove me crazy every time I approached the car from the rear.  I suspect that filled seams could potentially crack from body flex, so my thought would be to leave them as the factory intended.  It is also one of those things that get pointed out on BAT and car meets that trigger thoughts about the level of detail on the restoration.

IMHO,

Mark92131

2017-01-06 16.20.58.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Thanks for the thoughts guys  :)

I went back and looked at the pictures of the car when I first got it, and the pics earlier in this thread, and discovered that the seams were filled in previously... probably when it was first re-painted in the late 80's or maybe after by another owner?

So, we'll probably leave it as is... might be too difficult, not to mention more cost, to find or re-create those seams?  I'll speak to my painter next week.  Thanks again.

-RoyW

Edited by RoyW
  • Like 1

This is an impressive resto, and a great starting point compared to my own recently aquired (late last October) 72 tii. 

one thing you mentioned back in December was you had the mechanic address hard starting issue. Do you recall what that was? I'm just curious, in case it happens to me. Mine takes a bit of cranking to start but only one long crank. Then needs throttle to keep from dying. So just curious. 

Looking forward to seeing more progress. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

6 hours ago, Pablo M said:

This is an impressive resto, and a great starting point compared to my own recently aquired (late last October) 72 tii. 

one thing you mentioned back in December was you had the mechanic address hard starting issue. Do you recall what that was? I'm just curious, in case it happens to me. Mine takes a bit of cranking to start but only one long crank. Then needs throttle to keep from dying. So just curious. 

Looking forward to seeing more progress. 

The problem was the cold start relay. It  had no power thanks to mice that had chewed thru the wire!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. Mine has been bypassed with a button installed on lower steering cover. Press it when cranking to get it started. Even with that it’s not a quick start. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

The shop finished up all needed bodywork this week, e.g., dents, dings, rust spots, etc., and got her all taped and papered up for a coat of polyester filler/primer. The front/rear windows are still to come out, but the next steps would include block sanding, and then a couple courses of primer with more block sanding for each.... great progress to-date!! So exciting to see the work that is being done to bring this classic back to it full glory.

RoyW

697749422.jpg

697749443.jpg

697749460.jpg

697749475.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

• Like 3