• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recently aquired '72 tii

RoyW

I stopped by the paint shop to see the '02 with the doors, hood, and trunk lid now all attached...looks terrific! The color is fantastic... so rich and deep already, and it's still not buffed out!. Things have slowed down regarding progress, due to an influx of regular non-project work at this shop, but I expect to pick the car up sometime in early May, after the under-coating is completed and repairs to the spare tire well are done.

Since the headliner guy isn't available until later in May or early June, I will take the car in early May, with the windows still out, to my mechanic's shop for the install of suspension parts, e.g., shocks, struts, springs, bushings, etc., and then back to my house/garage to re-assembly of all the trim. I'll then return the car to the paint shop for the headliner replacement and installation of the glass. Crazy schedule, but trying to keep things moving, while using the best people I know for the jobs. My goal is to have the car completed and on the road for Vintage at Saratoga in the Fall.... at least that's the plan :)

P4210198.JPG

P4210199.JPG

P4210200.JPG

P4210201.JPG

P4210202.JPG

Edited by RoyW
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

She's all buffed out and the under-coating is applied... so, I'm picking her up at the paint shop next Tuesday to have the suspension bits installed at another shop, then to my garage for re-assembly of all the trim parts. Still looking for a local headliner guy, and after that back to the paint shop for install of the front and back windscreens.  Making progress...  every so slow, but steady!

IMG_8578.jpg

IMG_8579.jpg

702941304(1).jpg

702941334(1).jpg

704980863(1).jpg

704980899(1).jpg

704981000(1).jpg

705528496.jpg

705528511.jpg

Edited by RoyW
added pictures
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

After several months of exceptional body & paintwork, I was finally able to pick up the 2002 from the paint shop a couple weeks ago. From there, I trailered it straight to my mechanic's shop for installation of new springs, shocks/struts, sway bars, and all bushings which I had purchased from BluntTech in the winter.

While it was at the shop, I stopped by to see how things were going and took a few pictures (they were getting ready to install the rear suspension parts, while the fronts were already done, as you’ll see from the pictures below).  At some point, I need to get the car back up on a lift and take more pics of all this suspension work and the fresh under-coating!

The car is now in my garage and next on the agenda is the re-installation of all the trim and exterior parts, e.g., lights, bumpers, grills, rubber gaskets, etc., that were removed for the body & paint phase. Fortunately, I have a friend who will help me with this and I’m hoping to complete this phase by the end of June or early July.

Finally, I was successful in finding a quality shop to install in the NOS headliner (in CT) and I have that scheduled for mid-July. Then the front and rear windows will be installed back at the paint shop…. my truck & trailer will get a real workout with this NY-CT-MA-NY travel itinerary!! That should finish up the exterior if all goes as planned. J

Then on to the interior re-install and some under the hood clean-up… saving August for that phase. I’m sure there will be a few glitches along the way, so I’m trying not to get to far in front of myself, as past projects have taught me not to rush things or expect things to go as planned… they never do! J

P5220223.JPG

P5220224.JPG

P5220225.JPG

P5220226.JPG

P5220228.JPG

Edited by RoyW
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I made some more progress over the past several weeks on re-assembly and other related tasks. A special thanks to my friend, Phil, for helping with much of this work!

In summary, we got the rear bumper and trim on the car (except the belt trim, as that will be later). Also, we installed the front bumper (very scary proposition, what with fresh paint and not wanting to scratch anything) and the headlights, grills, and over-riders. The right-side grill is missing one of tabs that the screw goes thru to affix it to the body... so I need to figure out a solution for this problem (see pic of missing tab)?

Lastly, I installed new weather-stripping for the trunk...  and that was challenging project... lots of clips!!

Last week I brought the car to an upholstery shop to have a new NOS headliner installed... I will pick it up tomorrow and trailer it to my body & paint shop in MA for installation of the new windshield, the old rear window, and associated new gaskets. From there, it's back home to finish up the exterior trim

Here are some pictures of the completed work

P7020040.JPG

P7020041.JPG

20230708_130644.jpg

20230708_130657.jpg

IMG_3196(1).jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

P6250036.JPG

20230709_144653.jpg

Edited by RoyW
corrections
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Over the past week I completed a few more items of the post-paint re-assembly process of the car’s exterior, as shown in the pictures below. They included install of the knee trim with new clips; install of a pair of Marchal driving lights; install of the radio antenna; and partial install of new door gaskets (URO weather-stripping) on both door frames.  I am currently waiting on parts to install the belt trim around the car as well as the rain gutter trim on the roof… then I will start on the interior.

The adhesive on the newly installed headliner at the center of the back window started to come loose, so the installer made a trip out to my house to re-glue the entire back edge from side-to side… saving me a trip back to his shop in CT! J

When trying to install the new clips for the knee trim, I had minimal problem getting them to go into the holes that had new paint on them, but getting the plastic pins that are suppose to push into the center hole of the clip to secure it to the car was near impossible… so, I used same size set screws that easily self thread into the holes using a 1/8” Allen key… seemed to work perfectly.

I struggled with the new URO door gaskets, but finally managed to get the upper portion on both doors into the aluminum channel’s groove and then only needing to use some 3M black gasket adhesive to secure the lower portions from the top of the window area down to the door threshold… this bottom portion is not going so well, as the first door I try is binding up at the A pillar corner and the door now won’t close. So, it’s back to the drawing board on this to figure out what I did wrong, etc??

Slow, but steady progress! J

20230729_100914.jpg

20230729_103324.jpg

20230729_104626.jpg

20230730_095334.jpg

20230730_105330.jpg

20230804_111326.jpg

20230804_111345.jpg

20230805_081911.jpg

20230805_081923.jpg

Edited by RoyW

• 1 month later...

With the completion of the waist trim installation last week, I am finally done with re-installing all the post-paint exterior trim (less one small piece that is on order and expected any day). YEAH!!  I did replace a few pieces of trim, and used all new clips and fasteners, but for the most part all the original pieces went back onto the car… and they look pretty good against the fresh paint job… much to my surprise! J

I had some big issues with the install of the waist trim clips, in particular the small plastic pins that need to be pushed into the center of the clip to secure it in place. The 50+ holes were ever-so-slightly smaller as a result of the 7+ coats of primer, color, and clear that were applied to the body in the re-spray… and while I could get the clips to push into the holes (with the aid of some lube) the center pin would not push into the clip to expand and secure the clip. So, after some think time and a few “MacGyver” experiments, I used some tapered plastic prism picks to do the job… they worked great and I have plenty left over for the olives that go into my martini glass!  J

I also installed some sound & vibration insulation material (Kilmat) on the inside of the doors and the floor under the back seat. In addition, I put all the panels that I had cleaned and painted back into the trunk, as well as fabricated a few pieces to replace the totally disgusting ones that were at the back up against the rear firewall and along the bottom of each wheel well in the trunk. I cleaned and painted the jack & handle, and put the re-freshed spare wheel and new tire back in the well

I still have problem with the new door seals not allowing the doors to close perfectly flush (with the rear quarter panel), but they are better, as keeping them closed, plus the Summer heat has helped mold the seals somewhat. The problem is still at the bend area of the A pillar where it transitions vertically toward the bottom of the door and the thickness and hard rubber of these URO seals. :(

This week I brought the car up to my mechanic to work on some engine tuning issues and a few other mechanical problems that need diagnosis and repair, e.g., brake lights not working, e-brake issue, heater fan doesn’t turn on, wiring up the driving lights, etc. When I get the car back I will continue with the install of the interior. So, I won’t be bringing it to Vintage at Saratoga this weekend, as was my goal, but, I plan to get a State inspection, and then do a little shake-down driving in late Oct and early Nov, before put her up for the Winter… looks like it will be next Spring before any public unveiling.  Of course, I did find and buy a complete set-up for a 5-speed conversion, and that’s now on the agenda for 2024!! Project car are never done!! J

Here are some pictures of the progress.

20230905_104617(1).jpg

20230905_111928(1).jpg

20230928_163634.jpg

20230928_163757.jpg

PA030233.JPG

PA030234.JPG

PA030236.JPG

PA030235.JPG

20230926_150526.jpg

20230928_173727.jpg

Edited by RoyW

17 hours ago, slowbert said:

@RoyW Are you able to get the door cards to fit with the door's sound dampening applied in the last picture?  I was debating on the best way to do the sound dampening for the doors.

I haven't tried to install the door cards yet, but I did the same thing on the doors of another '02tii years ago and they went on fine.  The Kilmat is very thin stuffa maybe a 1/16 of an inch think, so I doubt it will impact fitment of the door cards. Hoping the same here :)

-RoyW

Edited by RoyW

• 2 months later...

It’s been a while since my last update, as life got in the way of progress on finishing up the car J  But, I did get some things done over the past few months and am nearing the finish line on this restoration project and looking to enjoy driving the car come Spring ‘24

I finished up the trunk clean-up and then touched-up paint-wise, a few areas where needed. Then I installed the re-freshed original panels and found a pad to go over the panels… it is thin and cheap, but it's custom fit to the layout. I’ll be looking for a heavier duty pad or will fabricate one using the thin one as a template.

In October I trailered the car out to the 2002tii guru, Paul Wegwieser's shop (was on my way to visit family in Chicago), and had him go thru the engine and drive-line,  as well as fix a few control items that needed attention, e.g., in-op heater fan, replace brake light switch, repaired e-brake handle assembly; replace rear window vertical rubber trim, etc.

The major work Paul did included a complete tune-up; plus a valve adjustment; repaired vacuum leaks; replaced the WUR; replaced linkage ball cup bushings; replaced misc. vacuum hoses; etc.  The car/engine now starts, idles, and runs beautifully…. lots of zip and very smooth, like when it was brand new!!  :)

Since then I have installed the rear seats, seat belts, and side panels. This week, I will clean and greased up both window mechanisms, and then install fresh vapor barrier material on the doors, before installing the door cards. That should pretty much do it. She’s covered up for a Winter nap and will be ready for a débute in April… maybe a trip down to The Vintage in May!! J

PC120241.JPG

PC120242.JPG

PC120244.JPG

PC120239.JPG

PC120240.JPG

PA230238.JPG

Edited by RoyW
corrections
  • Like 6