• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed. No start after I...

2 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Removing the seat belt senders just fools the box in to thinking no ones in the seat and lets the interlock close the interlock relay can fail giving you a no crank situation.

His parking lights and flashers issues make me think it's a low voltage problem.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

1 minute ago, Son of Marty said:

True Ray, but cranking the car with a low battery is a sure way to burn out that relay.

Maybe.

Of course, proper cars stopped being made before that circuit was installed.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

True Ray, but cranking the car with a low battery is a sure way to burn out that relay.

Car not cranking at all. Battery voltage 12.5. 

6 hours ago, Scottjeffrey said:

Did take readings at various grounds under the hood and they are fine.

Fine with current from a 9 volt battery (multimeter) applied, how are they behaving with say, 60 amps of current?

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Scott,

Check the ignition switch.

When these get old and corroded and the detent spring weakens, your car acts like it's possessed and in need of an exorcism.

Use the following chart to test continuity and resistance in each switch position.

John

1632291472_IgnitionSwitch.thumb.jpg.c67187f70ae0172f77afd3000961c3ed.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, John76 said:

Scott,

When these get old and corroded and the detent spring weakens, your car acts like it's possessed and in need of an exorcism.

Use the following chart to test continuity and resistance in each switch position.

John

Thanks for the diagram John. It is much appreciated. The switch was my first thought when the problem showed up of no start. I took resistance readings  between various ground points and the battery and the ones I could easily get to were fine. This diagram will come in handy as I try to diagnose what the heck's going on. Wishing you a good weekend.

Best Regards,

Scott

14 hours ago, Schnellvintage said:

Try tapping the solenoid on the starter, with an assistant turning the key to cranking position.  I have seen it numerous times with older starters that sit.

Fwiw,

Matt

On 7/23/2022 at 7:59 AM, BarneyT said:

Check the ground from battery to engine…

On 7/23/2022 at 12:41 AM, John76 said:

Scott,

John

On 7/22/2022 at 10:41 PM, tech71 said:

Fine with current from a 9 volt battery (multimeter) applied, how are they behaving with say, 60 amps of current?

On 7/22/2022 at 9:50 PM, ray_ said:

Earnest.

I think that's east of Philadelphia.

:D

On 7/22/2022 at 9:40 PM, Son of Marty said:

Well the problem is solved, amen. After cleaning all grounds nothing changed. The answer which I embarrassed to admit was the following. I had my battery tray out a couple of weeks ago to install my front bumper. I had failed to reattach the ground from the negative cable which fastens to the tray/body! How it has been working up until a few days ago is a miracle. It must have been grounding itself where it lay though of course poorly hence the initial gauge issue. Got to check everything three times when working in this south Florida heat. Thank you everyone for your time and effort.

Warm Regards,

Red in the Cheek, Scott