• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's an E10?

halboyles

A well-put question and one that has langured unanswered for lo, these many years.  However, in the last few years auspicious stars have aligned, and a renowned BMW scholar, having gained access to BMW Munich’s Archives, has penned a well-researched tome demystifying the quarrelsome “E10” designation so that we may no longer squabble amongst ourselves over such mundane matters.  (So that we will have more time to exhaust ourselves over life changing issues like the pronunciation of the Italian name of the rubber donut between the transmission and driveshaft or whether we are driving “Bimmers” or “Beamers”.)

Behold the definitive answer to the Type 114 vs M10 vs E10 brouhaha:     Jouret, Jackie the BMW 2002: The Real Story Behind the Legend, ID Media LLC, 2019.  Yes, on pages 53 and 54 of this extensively researched monograph, you will find the holy grille of the E10 moniker.  Please peruse those pages appended in portable document format or buy the publication and, over a flask of grog, enjoy its insights at length.

Of course, as one would expect amongst such a well-lettered community, there will be some quibbling over minute details in the manuscript.  But, knowing full well the maturity, open-mindedness, and logical acuity of the members, any trivial disagreements will be based on solid evidence such as that provided extensively by Ms. Jouret and not on hearsay, tribal identity or just plain pastoral bullshit. 

Live Long and Prosper!

Jackie Jouret Page 53 and 54.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Her response appears to be a non-answer of sorts.  Given that no date is provided,  nor is there any proof of internal documentation showing the car as designated an e10 in the period.  Why then, should I be held to a higher standard in my rebuttal?  

Contrary to her assessment we have the letter from BMW Classic in Germany saying that they never used in period.  This is also backed by period documentation specific to the 2002 that shows it being designated the 114 (microfiche for example).

Now in regards to modern car culture at large, “e10” was not in wide spread use up until Stanceworks and e30’s began to be popular.  Therefore when the 2002 is referenced as e10 in this day and age, I immediately picture that archetype behind the keyboard.

———-

Would love to be proven wrong on this with some good scanned proof… just hasn’t happened yet.

———-

- Squabbler

• Like 8

I think it's less stance works and more how things were being put into order on internet message boards. 

You would always have a long list of e12,28,46 ect. and then off on it's own the 2002. I think anyway. Got to check the way back machine for roadfly. 

image.png.42cda1d64ec5f0d30c0cedd4fdc81cb3.png

I even remember threads like this on that board. 2002 was the catch all for 114 and all of it's ilk. Luckily this faq came along and did it right. That site was like 1 step from a newsgroup but not quite as searchable.  Same thing happens on the ford forums. Dent side, bump side, bull nose, slant nose... Just short hand for 80-86 f series. Or just "the abonination" for the 97-04

I only really use e10 on ebay as short hand for, "please stop showing me e46 parts".  Facebook marketplace doesn't even really understand 114 as a search term.  "114? uh, okay here is a motorcycle and a i8 1:14 scale car?"

• Like 2

My take is, everything was fine referring to the BMW 2002 as such until the year 2002. After that began confusion with the miss informed. Over the years it has gotten worse even prefacing with the year as in 1973 2002Tii, the query turn up the year 2002 & not 1973. 

The wide spread E10 thing started around 2017ish from what I recall here on the FAQ. This eventually gained some traction on eBay parts searches. Jackie Jouret's book pages referenced by Hal Boyles final paragraph prefers Type 114 for the '02s & E Codes where appropriate. BMW Archives just refers to all 2 door 1600-2002s simply as the '02. 

• Like 3

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

E-codes and the like are the hipster way to reference cars nowadays.

I concur it took off around the time the nü-enthusiast movement in cars (early 2000 internet?) with the arise of:   lowered/slammed suspensions (bags/big-camber), body kit/aero add-ons, extra lighting mods, turbos, extra-loud exhausts & drifting…

If you wanna come off as an enthusiast nowadays you gotta use the codes, no matter what the brand of car. Only the not-with-it use the public name for vehicles. It’s ‘insider’ lingo.

2002s got sucked into it, since as Andrew noted, all the other bimmers had prominent codes.

Yes, anytime I hear E10, it places the user firmly in this new school enthusiast category.

Edited by visionaut
  • Like 4

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

it seems you're bored. I don't give a *** what you call it as long as all have the same understanding what they are talking about.
If someone says e10 I know what he means. I don't feel better in any way when I know the term was never used in period. 
period.
And to get off in a rant I don't like when people say something is "alpina" that isn't.

Edited by uai
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

If you look at the centerfold spread (no, not that kind of centerfold!) in the factory-produced book about 2002s, this two page reproduction of the color drawing depicting the final iteration of what became the original 1600-2 is labeled down in the corner TP 114.  That should solve the mystery.  Factory called it a Type 114 when it was cleared for production, so it's a Type 114.

That being said...from what I've read and seen (and from talking with Jackie), the E10 refers to later iterations of the original design--especially the Touring, and possibly also the targa-roofed cabriolet.  And that's where the confusion begins.  

So for my nickel, if you're referring to the original 2 door sedan body as introduced in 1966, it's a Type 114; if you're referring to a targa or touring, it's (could be) an E10.  The full convertibles...I think (but am not sure) they're 114s...

That's all I've got.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

That being said...from what I've read and seen (and from talking with Jackie), the E10 refers to later iterations of the original design--especially the Touring,

That's wrong touring is e6 and turbo is e20

Edited by uai

Being new to this old BMW malarky I assumed that the E10 was like E30 etc etc. Now I know better! However, that said, as mentioned above, using E10 when searching the internet does help, similarly 1602. Searching 2002 is hopeless. 

When I'm asked what car I have I would never consider saying a BMW E10, not many people would have the foggiest what that was. Also this forum would not be so good called E10FAQ ?

To me, mine is a 1975 BMW 1602 of the '02 type. Whatever, they are great little cars ? 

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

Please note the pdf below. It is a 1989 document by BMW North America noting an update to the Vehicle Identification Manual. It was a 48 page doc, but shortened it include only 1966-1976 info. You will note that nowhere is E10 mentioned.

Also attached a few pics. From 1971(?) to 1973 an E-Code sticker (my name for it) was placed on Euro '02s, usually above the VIN plate. All '02 variants had this and it noted TYP 114 on all, the exception being the Touring which showed E6. In 1974 the stickers did not show 114 but noted the car model, Cabrio, 2002tii, Turbo etc. None of these stickers showed E10.

As noted by Andrew above, we have no genuine BMW documentation showing the use of E10, and, BMW Archiv personnel have stated BMW never used that number.

I seem to remember E10 popping up in the early 2000s, usually on a German BMW '02 'site' I was looking at.

Unfortunately, this E10 myth has gone on too long now; the young '02ers have taken it on and, well, that is that I guess!

Scan_0016.pdf

87877172_27331991h.jpg.22c21332edb355ed4c0848e70b62861f.jpg

009sma.jpg.b5d5e23580f0d78c66eba85b124d4147.jpg

601757485_35905372u.jpg.8c1a20e87f9d8597e4f02ab2594bc0b1.jpg

• Like 4

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17