• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FMVSS Sticker Question

billy g

Hi Everyone,

This is my first topic post here. I've been looking to buy my first 2002 for quite a while and so far, I've not had much luck. As I'm sure you all know, it's not easy to find anything for sale locally (SF Bay Area) that's running and in decent condition. So I've recently started looking outside California and have found a couple prospects.

Which brings me to my question. The way I understand it, in order to register a 2002 (or any car) from another U.S. state, CA DMV must verify the FMVSS sticker is present. I'm familiar with the silver sticker shown below (typically with VIN and MFG date printed on), but I've also encountered the more generic looking black sticker. It seems the silver sticker is more legit, but does anyone know if the black sticker is also acceptable in CA? Any input is appreciated!

Bill

fmvss 1.jpg

fmvss 2.jpg

The silver sticker is more important, as it has the VIN and should have the correct date of manufacture.  The VIN better match the plate and stamped VIN on the passenger side of upper frame by the hood latch. Also the upper steering column VIN plate should match.

regards,

Matt

The black sticker preceded the silver sticker. Black stickers began with the 1968 model year and the silver stickers superseded the black stickers around 1971, more or less.

But… the silver stickers, while originally having both the VIN and the manufacturing month and year printed on them, rarely show that data today: the ink was fugitive. Ca. 1975, the fugitive ink was replaced with tiny round perforations, as on my ‘76 (first photo below). But you probably don’t want a 1976 in California, leaving you only with 1975 models having a high probability of a clear VIN today. Also, the stickers disappeared with body repairs and re-paintings. On my ‘73 tii, they just painted over the silver sticker (second photo below). So there’s that, too!

Someone here will have actual knowledge of how to satisfy California’s DMV — assuming that’s possible! ??

Welcome, nonetheless: if any place has experience with this issue, it will be this forum.

Regards,

Steve

FFB25679-285F-4279-8891-C415E25B620F.jpeg

B8EFFDF5-0FF9-4B9C-9A13-BDCE2F3B3E00.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Welcome to the forum Bill!

My original '76 California car never had the black compliance sticker, only the silver w/ VIN on the driver's door.

Also has the black metal VIN plate, stamped VIN on the passenger side frame, steering column metal tag, and engine VIN.

Good luck with your search.  You should be able to find a good rust-free CA car and avoid the "import" hassle.

John

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

Also, the stickers disappeared with body repairs and re-paintings.

And some later cars never had the sticker to begin with.  My '73 was sold new in CA and never had the door sticker, since the driver's door was replaced before the car was delivered to the dealer, presumably due to damage during shipment from Germany, and by Hoffman's West Coast make-ready depot.  So apparently--at least in 1973--possession of the sticker wasn't vital, even in CA.   

Dunno exactly when the silver door stickers first appeared, but suspect it was with the modell 71 cars beginning with VIN 2570001. 

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When I had my 2002 delivered from out of state, I got it registered in California at a AAA office.  People had recommend that I do that and I'm glad that I did.  It was amazingly quick and easy.  I don't recall the AAA person who checked out the car doing anything more than checking the VIN number and the paperwork that I had.  I could be wrong about that,  - maybe she also checked the emission sticker.  But I my car, that's a generic sticker without any identification to my vehicle.  I believe it is original - the sticker references 1971 regulations which is the car's year. 

Anyway, the point is a recommendation to use AAA.  If your not already a member, it doesn't cost much and could save you a big headache. 

Here's a picture of my emission sticker which is located under the hood on the passenger side.

IMG_4240.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

@Dick R

Awesome, thanks for that.  Do you have a picture of the 71 (is it a 257xxx vin?) door sticker?

I found this one by a fellow faq member.

AE0DF5A3-E7FD-434E-A4CE-82FDBE6BC87D.jpeg

That's mine.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

13 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

Thank you @jimk, apologies for not knowing.  I saved it as a reference some time ago.  

I am curious when the emission sticker switched to the later style shown above.  

Here are some pics of a Nevada 71 I inspected a few years ago. Note it has both the cowl and door stickers.

6EC76884-44F8-4EEB-9E24-F7580E4D6663.jpeg

6C3D324E-D7F6-4535-9FD6-9FA66466723E.jpeg

F5403545-55FE-44CC-995E-7BB5FF66185B.jpeg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hey Bill - What specifics,  beyond registering in CA are you looking for?  I have a 74 Malaga that I rescued from a delinquent owner and am in the process of fixing some small issues and some cosmetic ones, before I place it on BAT.  If you think you're interested with it as is, I can turn over the parts and the remainder of the repairs to you for a reasonable price.  I'm in Salem Oregon - just a day's drive.  PM me if you're interested.

Good luck with the hunt...

Carlos...

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

Thanks everyone for the all feedback so far! The consensus seems to be that the silver FMVSS sticker (and possibly also the emissions sticker) are needed to register a car from out of state. If one or both stickers are missing, there are replacements that can be ordered from various places. Since many surviving stickers no longer have legible VIN and production dates on them, perhaps a blank repro sticker would suffice?

Another wrinkle here is, if a car from out of state was previously registered in CA (within the last several years, for example) perhaps the VIN verification and FMVSS sticker aren't needed to re-register in CA?