• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FMVSS Sticker Question

billy g

16 minutes ago, billy g said:

Another wrinkle here is, if a car from out of state was previously registered in CA (within the last several years, for example) perhaps the VIN verification and FMVSS sticker aren't needed to re-register in CA?

I know if a car has been registered in CA in the last 10 years you don't need a VIN verification (and the sticker). 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

2 hours ago, Dick R said:

When I had my 2002 delivered from out of state, I got it registered in California at a AAA office.  People had recommend that I do that and I'm glad that I did.  It was amazingly quick and easy.  I don't recall the AAA person who checked out the car doing anything more than checking the VIN number and the paperwork that I had.  I could be wrong about that,  - maybe she also checked the emission sticker.  But I my car, that's a generic sticker without any identification to my vehicle.  I believe it is original - the sticker references 1971 regulations which is the car's year. 

Anyway, the point is a recommendation to use AAA.  If your not already a member, it doesn't cost much and could save you a big headache. 

Here's a picture of my emission sticker which is located under the hood on the passenger side.

IMG_4240.jpg

@Dick R I do have AAA and the DMV services alone are worth the cost of membership. It's the first place I'd go for registration. Hopefully you are right about it being less of a headache!

12 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

I know if a car has been registered in CA in the last 10 years you don't need a VIN verification (and the sticker). 

@bergie33 That's what I suspected, but it's reassuring to hear!

I registered my car at the Santa Clara DMV, moving from WA state, 2 years ago. The car had the riveted metal VIN tag in the engine bay, but no other stickers. It was not an issue at all to register it. I doubt the DMV people know all the locations the VIN is referenced in all the classic cars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

@jgerock was this a 6 or 12 fuse ‘71?

6 fuse, LONG shifter console, black gauge cluster, chrome seat hinges, black metal under dash cover, hazard switch in left dash cubby, early heater valve.  Lower body molding was in place.  Could have been a parts bin special. It was very rusty.

0890D14D-32A5-45A3-887D-4257DB6195FF.jpeg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 1 year later...

Aloha, all. I have just bought a 1971 (built in late 1970) Baur voll cabriolet, VIN 1558629. Following a past repaint, someone in the ownership history retained the original FMVSS certification placard. See photo below. This plaque is particularly interesting to me, in that apparently very few full convertibles were imported into the US as Federalized cars.

I am aware that these FMVSS plaques changed over the years. What do you make of this one for 1558627 cabriolet? It seems to address the FMVSS requirements, as well as Import requirements. Any input would be appreciated. This car does not have one of the silver certification stickers, as shown below for a 1971 year model car. I'm wondering if there were various FMVSS certification plaques produced by BMW? Or if perhaps Baur produced their own FMVSS for vehicles ordered new for the US market? The requirement is for the "manufacturer" to produce these safety certification plaques, but Baur was essentially the manufacturer when it came to all the 02 cabriolets. 

And I know I'm a year late, but welcome to Billy G! Bill, in your first picture above, the silver sticker looks like a reproduced item. Is there someone out there reproducing these blank FMVSS certification stickers, sort of like getting a new VIN plate?

Thanks! Robert

PS. I tend to agree with Mike Self, that the silver FMVSS plaques came later in 02 production, and likely were not part of any early Federalized import BMW cars. Rather, these late 1960's cars, beginning in January of 1968, met the FMVSS placard requirement by the black sticker shown below--this one located under the hood on my 1600-2, built in September 1967, but first sold new in San Francisco, January 1968. It was later when the government started requiring FMVSS placards to be displayed in areas other than underneath the hood, and I believe later when BMW started using the silver background for FMVSS certification labels. RPS

Here's some light reading. Remember FMVSS stickers were for a whole variety of vehicles, not just cars. They were also required for certain motor vehicle parts. So, it's a complicated topic, and narrowing down the BMW passenger car FMVSS placard history will be interesting, not just because of us geeks, but also for folks attempting to import these wonderful old cars into the variety of States that require an FMVSS placard for registration. Bottom line is the 25-year-rule is a Federal government regulation, but States seem to be able to narrow import car requirements for purposes of titling such cars in their respective states. So, as pointed out above, no FMVSS sticker for a car 1968 year model and newer, no ability to register the car in some states. And many of these same states grant titles for hand built, nut and bolt hot rods all day long! I tend to think that States which have adopted the FMVSS sticker as their gold standard for imported cars have been impacted by new car dealership lobbyists. I just can't see the logical connection between safety and factory built imported cars, versus hand built hotrods. End of rant!

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/fmvss-quickrefguide-hs811439.pdf

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 10.44.36 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 4.01.54 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 11.03.27 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 11.09.31 AM.png

• Like 1

@BritshIron don't lose that sticker!

Those were used when a car was imported via "grey market" Federal "one time" rules.

I have one on my door jamb from the certifying/import compliance company along with all the paperwork. Of course at the time you could only drive IIRC 1000 miles per year. The fact is, since 1983, there has been no contact from the Feds. I think I'm in the clear. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If it's not too much trouble, I would love to know more information on these FMVSS labels. Are you saying that the certification labels were produced by someone other than BMW or Baur. I have never heard of the Federal "one time" rules, and would like to know more. Is there a specific citation in law where I can be educated? Are you referring to the ability for an individual to apply as an importer, and thus pay for the FMVSS modifications, and produce their own label? Do you think "Michael Hand" on my label was an individual, or dealership? 

Again, I'm familiar with the Federal 25-year rule on imported cars. That rule does not cut it with a number of States, however. But I am totally unfamiliar with "grey market Federal one time rules, that involved a special FMVSS label. It almost sounds like these labels were more of an import tool as a declaration of safety requirements. Please expand, and we'll all be educated!

Aloha, Robert

PS. Can you post a picture of your FMVSS label, and show the location on your car? Is your car a cabriolet? Mahalo! Robert

Just tried to send you a PM, but your box can't accept messages. I think your term "grey market" was spot on, given the process you described. "Grey import vehicles are new or used motor vehicles and motorcycles legally imported from another country through channels other than the maker's official distribution system or a third-party channel officially authorized by the manufacturer. The synonymous term parallel import is sometimes substituted." I really look forward to your response to my questions above. Send me a PM if that is more comfortable. Aloha and mahalo! Robert P. Smith

IMG_20240711_094719_982.thumb.jpg.7b57935041df669b6d45d0c39bdc370f.jpg

Sure.

The laws have changed since then, but at the time you had to use one of a few companies registered with the Federal government to make your car compliant with Federal laws.The car had to go from the port of entry, basically impounded to a compliance shop until the car was inspected and released by the Feds.....E.g. window glass, 5 MPH bumpers, turn signals, seatbelt interlock/ warning buzzer, side marker lights, speedometer in MPH, side impact reinforcement in the doors, sealed beam headlights, brake fluid level sensor, there were a host of other, but I'd have to dig in the archives...

IMG_20240711_095430_370.thumb.jpg.2cc76fc357589b8a3aa4bccfb860c5f2.jpg

In my case, because I live in California, THEN it had to be made to pass smog here, for the year of manufacture / model year, which I did in order to get the license... e.g. vapor recovery, charcoal filter, %CO at idle and at 2500 RPM, no mean feat for a 2002 Turbo,(it's a Tii!) but can be done. After that, you re-tune the engine for performance. Race gas is your friend.

BTW those compliance companies did a lot of tricky things to get certifications, and some of them got caught.... and went to prison.... My guy and Allan Hardy were two. I think.

No crazy tricks with my car, so no worries. It's a Tii!

In your case, Michael Hand may have been a sole person doing all that, I think you could have done that but don't recall.

Did I answer the question?

HTH

Ted

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Ted. Perfect. Let me digest this information, and I may write with a follow-up. Your FMVSS label not exactly like mine, but I believe mine was mounted in the door jam, very much like yours. More later! Mahalo! Robert 

Looks like that sticker is a BMW item. I recall there were SMOG stickers that told any mechanic what the specifications were.... hence the 7% +-1% (WOW! IIRC I had to get ~1%-1.5% at idle)

Others may comment on those specifications in comparison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Einspritz said:

Others may comment on those specifications in comparison.

Prior to 1970, some early cars has 2 stickers, (1 for US Conforming statement and 1 for Mechanics tuning).  1970 and on, they combined these statements into one sticker (silver and later black).  In 1974, 1975, 1976, they included a smog system diagram sticker for manual, automatic cars and a special sticker in 1976 for cars outside CA (49 State cars).

Here's some examples...

Mark92131

CIMG3086.thumb.JPG.ced467d3ffbdc202f18f8735a8283bfa.JPG

CIMG3095.thumb.JPG.9d9ef9759acb26010b4b739005b01cc7.JPG

75D2410B-2686-4F30-ADA7-4B26CA723466.thumb.jpeg.871c43b5de19062f1d9a47f8213e726c.jpeg

2DBADF97-D551-4FFD-B59B-FA46971E2B3C.thumb.jpeg.2d49e522b8d78003244133dff61f3512.jpeg

843FAD4E-2E43-4187-8C56-AD7437126BE2.thumb.jpeg.c000771f3559e9a50a7680995d7cd76b.jpeg

2015-10-22 11.27.26.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)