• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FMVSS Sticker Question

billy g

16 minutes ago, billy g said:

Another wrinkle here is, if a car from out of state was previously registered in CA (within the last several years, for example) perhaps the VIN verification and FMVSS sticker aren't needed to re-register in CA?

I know if a car has been registered in CA in the last 10 years you don't need a VIN verification (and the sticker). 

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

2 hours ago, Dick R said:

When I had my 2002 delivered from out of state, I got it registered in California at a AAA office.  People had recommend that I do that and I'm glad that I did.  It was amazingly quick and easy.  I don't recall the AAA person who checked out the car doing anything more than checking the VIN number and the paperwork that I had.  I could be wrong about that,  - maybe she also checked the emission sticker.  But I my car, that's a generic sticker without any identification to my vehicle.  I believe it is original - the sticker references 1971 regulations which is the car's year. 

Anyway, the point is a recommendation to use AAA.  If your not already a member, it doesn't cost much and could save you a big headache. 

Here's a picture of my emission sticker which is located under the hood on the passenger side.

IMG_4240.jpg

@Dick R I do have AAA and the DMV services alone are worth the cost of membership. It's the first place I'd go for registration. Hopefully you are right about it being less of a headache!

12 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

I know if a car has been registered in CA in the last 10 years you don't need a VIN verification (and the sticker). 

@bergie33 That's what I suspected, but it's reassuring to hear!

I registered my car at the Santa Clara DMV, moving from WA state, 2 years ago. The car had the riveted metal VIN tag in the engine bay, but no other stickers. It was not an issue at all to register it. I doubt the DMV people know all the locations the VIN is referenced in all the classic cars

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

@jgerock was this a 6 or 12 fuse ‘71?

6 fuse, LONG shifter console, black gauge cluster, chrome seat hinges, black metal under dash cover, hazard switch in left dash cubby, early heater valve.  Lower body molding was in place.  Could have been a parts bin special. It was very rusty.

0890D14D-32A5-45A3-887D-4257DB6195FF.jpeg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"