• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Touring on BAT in Florida

NickVyse

It will be interesting to see if the BAT buying crowd appreciates the uber cool factor of a touring as much as a sedan Tii.

Green tint, campags, air con - it's only missing the sportpaket to be the best of the best.

1973_bmw_2002tii-touring_img_2939-7-4085
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a 1973 BMW 2002tii Touring 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #81,283.

• Like 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

That’s a sweet 02. 

It seems to me the nose panel is incorrect (late model on a ‘73), am I missing something? Were  tourings different? The quality level of the car appears high so it doesn’t make sense to me that they would use the wrong panel. Judging by the wheels they clearly have good taste !

5 minutes ago, Lorin said:

That’s a sweet 02. 

It seems to me the nose panel is incorrect (late model on a ‘73), am I missing something? Were  tourings different? The quality level of the car appears high so it doesn’t make sense to me that they would use the wrong panel. Judging by the wheels they clearly have good taste !

IIRC, all tourings retained the round rear lights even after the newer front end was restyled.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

39 minutes ago, Lorin said:

It seems to me the nose panel is incorrect (late model on a ‘73), am I missing something?

Since Tourings are Euro only cars, and reading the seller's comments, it really is  a "modell 73" vs an actual, made-in-the-factory's model year (Sept 72-Aug 73) "1973" car.  Looking more closely at the photos, the car has a one piece dash, a rack that holds the relays (between the brake fluid reservoir and voltage regulator), a later, 4 spoke steering wheel and crosshair instruments. None of these features were used on 1973 ("roundie") cars.  The VIN (3430165) should tell the tale...Apparently since it's a very low VIN, the car was actually delivered in calendar year 1973 and thus was so titled, even though it's really a '74.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So, yes, this is a “square taillight” example. The only problem with using that term, as Jim says above, is that tourings never got the square taillights!

It is an E6, Modell 73. The Netherlands registers cars based on initial registration, not model year. The 1974 registration year and the BMW Group Archives email — which mentions delivery to the Netherlands in 1975 — are a bit at odds. Maybe the email should say 1974. I don’t know.

The screen shot below, from our Articles section, shortens E6, Modell 73, as simply E6/73. All VIN 343xxxx tourings are Modell 73’s, and, as with non-tourings, production started in August 1973 (which is why they’re called Modell 73’s).

Regards,

Steve

10D333C0-8A58-4085-B8DE-65BE84FEC77B.png

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 8/6/2022 at 9:47 AM, Charles in PA said:

“Green tint, campags, air con - it's only missing the sportpaket to be the best of the best.”

What options came with the sport package?

At minimum: OEM alloys, Recaro front seats, special trim on front and rear seats (was it limited to the contrasting piping?), probably more features I just don’t know!

Best regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Conserv said:

At minimum: OEM alloys, Recaro front seats, special trim on front and rear seats (was it more than special piping?), probably more!

Best regards,

Steve

yeah recaros (original sport seat, pre e21 style) were black vinyl with cream piping, matched on the rear. Plus black sills with black across the lower lip of the front panel, plus the factory mounted spot lights. Mate Jeff has the interior in his tii touring but buggered if I can find a photo - have pointed him at this thread as he knows the lovely BAT Touring well - hopefully he'll post a pic as google isn't helping either.

• Thanks 2

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Sport Paket - as noted above, front seats, fancy steering wheel, alloy wheels, and, not widely know, bulbous front blinkers.

Not sure why this is dificult for some to understand. Unlike the USA, in Europe (UK at least) a car sold/registered in 1973 was Titled as a 1973 even if it was sold/registered in Dec 1973. If it languished in the Dealership until the following year before being sold/1st registered then it would be Titled as a 1974. However, those in the know would 'name' it after it's manufacture date.

1263655498_34206951o.thumb.jpg.bf670c08467d34f2bbe92da1abe9d7af.jpg

878834701_34214231a.jpg.637d47c70d6951dca1b29f9ffff2f8b0.jpg

• Like 5

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 minute ago, 02Les said:

… bulbous front blinkers…

Say it isn’t so, Les! Now I can’t call flush signals “Euro” and I can’t call bulge signals “U.S.”… ??

Best regards,

Steve

Thank you for the explanations. I am aware of cars not selling right away and being titled as a later model vehicle. 

I did not know that an early delivery of a model year would ever be titled as the previous model year. There is always something to learn here ! 

• Like 1

1973_bmw_2002tii-touring_IMG_3008-6-scal

you try so hard, and then things like this happen...  and no- one fixes them when it'd add half a billable hour.

1973_bmw_2002tii-touring_IMG_2955-3-scal

...and here's why BMW blacked out the paint behind the grilles.

t

couldn't afford it, and doesn't like white cars anyway...

(not jelly.  Nope)

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, steve k. said:

Tourings do not get the proper love in the US. This Tii might go for very little compared to a standard Tii. 

Steve K. 

Only because it doesn't have monster flares on it...

orange touring.jpg

• Like 3

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Say it isn’t so, Les! Now I can’t call flush signals “Euro” and I can’t call bulge signals “U.S.”… ??

Best regards,

Steve

Bulbous front turn signals rule I tell you, they rule... ?  Safety first ⚠️

Bulbous flares like the pic above also rule.  At least on that car ?

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️