• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

our new-to-us 1600-2

autokunst

Thank you!

The seats are dated July 1969, as noted further back in this thread.  I am not sure when they replaced the original seats, but I like the headrests and am glad they are in there.  I did not realize the mirror, but do see that it had the correct swan neck mirror back in the 2000's.  Between then and now, evidently the mirror was changed (long after the seats were changed).  I kind of like the trapezoid mirror, and plan on adding one on the right side as well for driving safety.  

Stephen Bruns

1968 1600-2  "Stuart"

1973 3.0CS  "Raven"  https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-raven-e9-project.26879/

1967 VW Beetle  "Templeton"

Whatever you prefer. You can juggle a lot of things on these cars to suit your taste. Those headrests come off easily, if you decide on the early look. The factory even made chrome plugs for the holes. I've had a mirror on the passenger side, and it didn't really help much. The factory didn't install them on the passenger side. I find the visibility so good that I really don't need one there. So, I removed it and plugged the holes when I last painted the car. The car also looks quite a bit slicker without that extra mirror.

The most difficult part to source on the 68 1600-2 is probably the brake master cylinder. It is mounted on the pedal box like the 66-67 cars, but it is longer. The 66-67 cars use a shorter and much simpler brake master where the rebuild kit is readily available. You can probably use this earlier version , if yours goes South. Or, you can send it in for a rebuild. The seals are complicated. I've never found any kits for it. 

-A

• Like 1