• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son Of Cobra - Carbon Fiber 2002 Exterior Panels

danco_

Hey guys,

I'm happy to finally announce that we are live and parts are officially for sale. 

Our current offerings include the hood, the trunk lid, and the roof skin in carbon fiber or epoxy fiberglass. Between each offering, you get to choose the finish of the part, and whether you want belt line trim holes or not. 

Weight savings is substantial and part fitment is excellent. 

This is 3 years in the making and we didn't want to rush to market.

Take a look at the link below and let me know your thoughts on the content. We are all DIY guys so we figured we'd offer some parts rather than go the way of Singer and offer only complete cars. 

We are excited!!! 

This is a long time coming.

-Ryan 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Incredible job, Ryan.  I know you are very excited to make this happen.  Congratulations and best of luck in the endeavor!

Adding lightness... those three panels reduce 77lbs off a steel car.  Ray pointed out to me an added benefit that the weight savings is above the COG, which will help roll characteristics.  Should allow for some reduction in spring weight and anti-roll bar stiffness for a more nimble suspension. (those more experienced in set-up might chime in on that)

It's freakin' awesome, no matter which way you slice it.

Now, I'm off to check my piggy bank ?

Ed Z

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

3 minutes ago, zinz said:

Incredible job, Ryan.  I know you are very excited to make this happen.  Congratulations and best of luck in the endeavor!

Adding lightness... those three panels reduce 77lbs off a steel car.  Ray pointed out to me an added benefit that the weight savings is above the COG, which will help roll characteristics.  Should allow for some reduction in spring weight and anti-roll bar stiffness for a more nimble suspension. (those more experienced in set-up might chime in on that)

It's freakin' awesome, no matter which way you slice it.

Now, I'm off to check my piggy bank ?

Ed Z

Thank you Ed!

Weight savings is a bit more than what we stated. We purposely choose to weigh all production parts without the hood bars, hinges, springs, etc. Same goes for the roof panel. Between the headliner bows, and the two horizontal roof reinforcement bars between the A and C pillars, you save substantially more weight. Not to mention that you no longer need any of those parts with our panels. 

Don't get me started if you have a sunroof car and you go to our carbon fiber roof panel. The weight savings is HUGE, and right where it's most desired- up top.

More to come! 

• Like 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

I have only seen the pics, and you can tell by those it is IMPRESSIVE work.  Having spent an ungodly number of hours fooling around with plugs, molds and fiberglass parts for my race car I can attest to the amount of time it takes a plug, mold and part of this quality (a sh&t load).  These are production parts as well, there are few fiberglass parts (or other) that have that level of fit and finish.  

• Like 1

Another cool benefit I just thought of besides the weight reduction is the rust reduction factor ?

With the price of body and paint work these days, I might be able to justify a hood and trunk replacement on the Thrasher if I kept them all carbon fiber with no paint...  Just thinking (dreaming) out loud ☺️ The ultimate surf machine with no rust...

• Like 3

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

4 hours ago, Leucadian said:

Amazing work guys.  The welds on my torsion bar just started to fail, seems like the right choice to replace the whole hood....and trunk.  Roof too.  

With our panels, you won't miss the heavy torsion set up on the hood, not to mention the hood flex you experience when you try to open the steel hood from one side only. None of those issues are carried over with our composite panels. 

One thing I will address is the hood and trunk prop bar we use in house. We kept this portion ambiguous because DIY guys have 10 ways to solve the same problem, but I'm thinking I may just address it before it becomes a concern for our customers. 

4 hours ago, johnny02 said:

That roof….and those hood pins.  I’m going pins for sure, the roof will come later.  

I was an anti hood-pin guy for the longest time but seeing as how my own colorado orange 2002 carbon fiber project is all about lightness, I've decided I will go with the hood pins and remove the hood torsion bar locking system all together for more weight savings. It's a rabbit hole chasing lightness in a street car but I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't love the Florida Green car so much. That car is so right in every way. The carbon panels gave it the rigidity we all wanted to the point that I'm pretty sure I can remove my rear swaybar. There is no flex in the CF panels like you see from the steel panels we replaced. This is especially noticeable in the roof skin. 

3 hours ago, markmac said:

I have only seen the pics, and you can tell by those it is IMPRESSIVE work.  Having spent an ungodly number of hours fooling around with plugs, molds and fiberglass parts for my race car I can attest to the amount of time it takes a plug, mold and part of this quality (a sh&t load).  These are production parts as well, there are few fiberglass parts (or other) that have that level of fit and finish.  

You are right! I've been meaning to drop you a line and visit you and your car in Sacramento. I would love to provide you a cool part for your racecar. I've been keeping a close eye on your progress through your instagram account (which I enjoy every time you make a new post). 

2 hours ago, Dudeland said:

All I have to say is DANG!!! wow are those sexy looking parts.  I have to figure out a way to get these things north of the 49th. 

Thank you! We work with multiple shipping companies to get the best rates. We ship parts all around the world and have not yet encountered any issues. Part of the reason we don't see parts damaged in transit is because they are so much lighter, that they don't bang around in boxes with the force a 50lb trunk lid typically does, thus damaging corners. This is a small bonus we only realized after the fact. We are ready to help when you are.

17 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Another cool benefit I just thought of besides the weight reduction is the rust reduction factor ?

With the price of body and paint work these days, I might be able to justify a hood and trunk replacement on the Thrasher if I kept them all carbon fiber with no paint...  Just thinking (dreaming) out loud ☺️ The ultimate surf machine with no rust...

Yes!!! I tell everyone these cars will now outlast us, their current caretakers. No more threat of rust on the exterior panels (or where a composite part has replaced a steel part) is a nice place to be in when living by the beach as we do. My car is my surf beater, albeit a much nicer surf beater when completed. Thank you.

Edited by danco_
  • Like 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

5 hours ago, mccusername said:

How do you think carbon fiber roof and hood compare to steel in terms of sound? Louder, way louder, quieter?

Carbon fiber is better at noise insulation than their steel  counterpart. We also use a honeycomb core in most of our panels for strength and it plays a role in sound proofing. 

However, I’ve yet to be in a 2002 that was quiet above 50mph. So while our carbon panels are quieter, I don’t expect them to be as quiet as say, someone who uses too much dynamat or other sound insulation pads. 

another added bonus is that carbon does not transfer heat like a steel panel does. Carbon gets hot, but dissipates heat much quicker and it isn’t  transferred into the cabin like a steel hood or roof panel would. It’s even better when painted, too. 

Edited by danco_
  • Thanks 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

7 hours ago, louissingapore said:

How does the roof fit?

Assuming your car has not had any accidents or issues with the roof rails by the windshield or drip moldings, our carbon fiber roof panels fit flawlessly. We spent an incredible amount of time making sure the mold is perfect and that the panel fits perfectly in the drip rail channel, as well as beneath both front and rear windshield seals before bonding. Very little bodywork is required once our CF roof bonded to the metal frame of the roof. 

Here is a rough photo of our CF roof fitted to a 2002, before it was bonded to the metal frame. You get a good idea of fitment and what a customer can expect to receive. 

IMG_9904.thumb.JPG.8dd27a8e42db6d93ac5aee4a1945f73b.JPG

Edited by danco_
  • Like 6

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards